1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Valve adjustment

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by lostboy, Dec 26, 2009.

  1. lostboy

    lostboy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,225
    Likes Received:
    325
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Tillsonburg, Ontario, Canada
    Will the temperature of the engine block effect the valve clearance. It is now cold in the garage. I have a radiant propane heater. The room gets warm but the block is cold to the touch.
     
  2. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    Tollerances allow for temperature changes, if you have a 'borderline' reading, err on the side of the next shim down.
     
  3. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    You'll be fine. We're in exactly the same climate; I heat my garage the same way; I adjusted the valves on both bikes last winter under the same conditions to no ill effect.
     
  4. lostboy

    lostboy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,225
    Likes Received:
    325
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Tillsonburg, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks guys I will be in the garage tomorrow!!!!!
     

Share This Page