1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

750 alternator seal & o-ring questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ski84, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. ski84

    ski84 Member

    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Mexico
    I'm replacing the shaft seal, big o-ring and oil nozzle o-ring. I know how to get the rotor out. I know how to get the three Torx screws out that hold the seal cover. I also have both an official Yamaha service manual & the Hanes manual, but the instructions and details for both are lacking to say the least. A few questions as follows:

    1) When pulling the seal/bearing cover out, does the shaft & bearing come with it? Or to put it another way, do I want it to?

    2) Or does the cover come out with the seal & bearing only?

    3) Or just the cover and the seal?

    4) Where is the bearing outer race pressed into? The seal cover or the crankcase?

    5) What is the proper torque of those three torx screws? Yes I know they need Locktite.

    6) I came across an old posting by Bill where he states the following "when you pull the plate with the seal and bearing it can stick - be careful not to pull the shaft out of it's seat - it will come out and it is a bear to get back in place properly (believe me we did it)." What was he saying exactly?

    Since I like to have a good idea of the task at hand before I attempt to actually perform the task, I thought I'd ask. Sounded like Bill ran into an issue that I'd rather avoid if possible.

    Thanks!
     
  2. ski84

    ski84 Member

    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Mexico
    Bump
     
  3. ski84

    ski84 Member

    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Mexico
    I guess I can assume what Bill was saying that the bearing comes out with the cover but don't pull the shaft with it ?
     
  4. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    remove the torx screws & the plate comes off, use an allen key as a lever to push out the oil nozzel, when you withdraw the shaft the starter clutch will drop down, don't panic, as long as you dont push the drive gear off the back, the rollers & springs will stay in place, the bearing comes off with the shaft, it is a push fit in the cover plate, there is an 'o' ring on the nozzel, don't know how important it would be to change that.
    getting back to you in a sec' with the torque for the torx.
     
  5. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    7.2 f/lbs
     
  6. chacal

    chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

    Messages:
    9,392
    Likes Received:
    2,092
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The room where it happened
    1) When pulling the seal/bearing cover out, does the shaft & bearing come with it? Or to put it another way, do I want it to?

    >>> the shaft and bearing may try to come out with the bearing cover, but keep some pressure on the shaft to prevent it fromt doing so. The bearing typically will stay with the shaft.

    2) Or does the cover come out with the seal & bearing only?

    >> see above answer!

    3) Or just the cover and the seal?

    This is what should happen....actually, the cover and it's o-ring and the seal will come out as one unit

    4) Where is the bearing outer race pressed into? The seal cover or the crankcase?

    >>> well, it's not really "pressed" into anything, it fits into a machined recess in the crankcase.

    5) What is the proper torque of those three torx screws? Yes I know they need Locktite.

    7.2 ft-lbs.
     
  7. ski84

    ski84 Member

    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Mexico
    Thanks Guys! I think I got it.
     

Share This Page