1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Towing question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by regulator, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. regulator

    regulator Member

    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Ankeny, IA & Brooklyn Center, MN
    I have been looking into trailers and ways of occassionally towing my cycle (82 maxim 750). When I remembered having a "hitchhiker" cycle towing unit in the garage (younger people out there may not remember these LOL) It is a way to tow the cycle by the front wheel and attaches to you trailer ball. Has anyone here used one of these? I remember as a kid my father towed a 60 or 70's something suzuki from NY to MN when we moved, with no problems. But I also remember my brother using it and ruining something on his, beleave it shifted into gear instead of neutral. Was wondering if this way of towing will be safe on mine or any precautions to take so it does not shift out of N. thanks
     
  2. regulator

    regulator Member

    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Ankeny, IA & Brooklyn Center, MN
  3. woot

    woot Active Member

    Messages:
    1,244
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Generally I'm not keen on them, or the other Hitch Carrier systems which have you park the bike on a rail.

    (The later Marc dropped/dragged his rs50 from when a tie down snapped)

    My personal favorites in order are:
    1) ride it
    2) tie it in the bed of a truck/van
    3) trailer behind a car/truck


    Yes - if it was in gear you'd make a huge mess... even in neutal some things will turn - at least as far as the clutch. I guess you could take the clutch lever in.

    Still - I'd save up for a different device - even buy a used utilitity trailer if you have the space
     
  4. regulator

    regulator Member

    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Ankeny, IA & Brooklyn Center, MN
    Thanks woot, I agree totally with you list :) I am trying to get my camper along with my cycle (towing with suburban, bike wont fit in rear doors) down to a camp ground later this month and where I am you can not pull two trailers but they allow you to pull camper and "hitchhiker" device. I am starting to lean heavily on not using it thou. I also found some more info on this that says if the shaft drive has a pump that needs the motor to run DO NOT USE. Not sure if this cycle has a fluid pump like they mention or not? might have to make two trips to the camp ground LOL dont want to leave either toy :)
     
  5. Robert

    Robert Active Member

    Messages:
    7,479
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Ventura CA
    Your final drive is immersed in it's own lubrication bath, so that shouldn't be a problem. This will however turn the shaft and I'm assuming here that the bike will be tilted with a nose up angle, allowing a greater than normal amount of oil in the crankcase to pool up in the rear part of the transmission, lubricating the shaft drive gears. I do not see a problem with this set up other than not having a hitchhiker myself! Just keep your speed at a reasonable clip (ie slowly) and you should be ok. There is my two cents.
     
  6. jdrich48

    jdrich48 Member

    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Smithfield, North Carolina
    For some reason I can't view the above link.
     
  7. Hired_Goon

    Hired_Goon Member

    Messages:
    619
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Oz
  8. jdrich48

    jdrich48 Member

    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Smithfield, North Carolina
    That one worked.
    Thanks Hired_Goon
    This type of hauler was discussed on the xj-owners mailing list some time back.
    Someone wanted one, and there was a big discussion on how everything was going to get lubricated. I'll try to find it in there archive and post it.
     
  9. woot

    woot Active Member

    Messages:
    1,244
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I think I remember that - that was a long time ago!
     
  10. jdrich48

    jdrich48 Member

    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Smithfield, North Carolina
  11. SnoSheriff

    SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

    Messages:
    20,743
    Likes Received:
    112
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    MB, CAN
    regulator, I fixed your original link.

    I'm wondering if this 'hitch' could be modified so the back wheel is running on 2 supporting wheels which lift the back wheel off the ground. Kind of like the modern towtrucks have the 'dolly' wheels'.
     
  12. regulator

    regulator Member

    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Ankeny, IA & Brooklyn Center, MN
    Thanks to all, Sno I was thinking the same thing this whole weekend, I have gotten many mixed opinions about this hauler which has just made it a harder for me to choose to use or not, but I would feel very comfortable with the back wheel off as well, I started to work on making something just like you mentioned, and will keep you posted on success or failure. So far plan is basic using the hitch as designed to lift front wheel, then a simple axle with two trailer tires, a rack for the back tire welded to it, then a solid bar on each side with a hook system to connect it to the chain loops of the hitch, the bars then could also be used to secure the cycle with straps on the sides. will see if this is workable LOL
     
  13. Robert

    Robert Active Member

    Messages:
    7,479
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Ventura CA
    I wanna see pictures when your done!! Keep a thought on cost for building them for profit too, will you?
     
  14. regulator

    regulator Member

    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Ankeny, IA & Brooklyn Center, MN
    ok will do
     

Share This Page