1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

broken middle gear plug

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by rusty, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. rusty

    rusty New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Burlington, ON
    I should have consulted this site before the Haynes manual when changing the oil. Nevertheless, I have a broken middle gear drain plug that will need to be drilled and 'outed'. Can someone confirm for me, either the proper yamaha part number, or on the crankcase drawing at http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.co ... 83/o/m8215 that parts numbered 15, 16 are correct.
     
  2. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    That's what you need Rusty, ... My heart goes out to you. I wish that the word could go far and wide on what a terrible risk it is to try and remove that one Bolt.

    There's only about a half-cup of Oil in there that's filtered before it gets there.
    30-Seconds after an Oil Change ... its New Oil.

    Now, you have your work cut-out for you.

    You ain't the first guy to get burned and have to get the fragment out.
    Sorry it happened to you.

    Good Luck!

    Use this forum for info if you get jammed-up.
    PM me with a question before making a mistake if you need too.
     
  3. rusty

    rusty New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Burlington, ON
    Thanks for the response Rick, I have one more question. The parts drawings show a washer between the spring and rubber grommets/filter in the oil filter housing but there wasn't one on my bike. Should I order one of those since i already have to order the middle gear drain plug?
     
  4. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    You really don't need it if you use a Filter with metal framework. But, if the Filter is an "All Paper Element" -- (I don't think they make 'em that way anymore) ... you'd need the washer to keep the spring from collapsing the paper element.

    I don't have the washer anymore. But, I'm anal about stuff like that. So, I'm getting myself one ... EVEN THOUGH I know I really don't need it.
     

Share This Page