1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 XJ750J Rear Wheel Removal Problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RichMN, Jun 10, 2006.

1. RichMN

RichMN New Member

Hi everyone!
    I've been watching this site for a few months as I've dug my 1982 XJ750J out of the shed. I hadn't rode it for a few years and decided it was time to start riding again. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the front tire and many other items. I've put a few hundred miles on it and it's been great!
    I decided to replace the rear tire now and have run into a problem. I'm trying to remove the center bolt and I cannot get it to move. I removed the nut on the left side, removed the small bolt on the right side and thought it should slide out. The bolt will move through the suspension arm on the right side but seems to be stuck in the right side aluminum brake casting. I don't want to break something.
    Am I doing something wrong? :?:

2. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm Member

Copied from my maint book...

* To remove the rear wheel, place the machine securely on its
    center stand so that the wheel is raised clear of the ground.

* Unscrew and remove the rear brake adjuster nut and disengage the brake rod from the brake arm.

* Displace the trunnion and fit it together with the spring to the end of the rod, then retain them by refitting the adjuster.

* Straighten and remove the split pin which secures the torque arm nut.

* Remove the nut and displace the torque arm.

* Remove the split pin from the wheel spindle nut, which can then be unscrewed.

* Slacken the wheel spindle pinch bolt, then displace and withdraw the wheel spindle to free the rear wheel.

* Pull the wheel to the right until it drops clear of the driving splines, then maneuverer it clear of the frame.

Hope this helped. :D

3. RichMN

RichMN New Member

Thanks, that looks to be exactly what I was trying. My bolt must be coroded in place. Not sure how I'm going to get it out. I tried using a block of wood and a hammer to break it free. It's stuck tight.

4. RichMN

RichMN New Member

If I hammer on this any harder something is going to break. I wonder what the dealer would do to push this bolt out. Maybe they would have some sort of hydraulic press.

5. Nick

Nick Member

Try some wd-40 or similar item, just spin the nut on a few turns and hit on the nut so you don't mush the threads on the bolt.
    If it won't go one direction try to hit it in the other direction to try to get it moving.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Wow! Are you certain it is rust holding it in there? If it is, Nick has you headed in the right direction. I would find a brass drift and hammer on the drift to drive the axle out. A shot of BreakFree or PB Blaster couldn't hurt either.

7. RichMN

RichMN New Member

This spindle will not move. I built a steel puller last night that puts a lot of pressure on the spindle. I've used WD40, heat gun and hammering and it will not move out of the right side brake casting. Does anyone have a picture of a spindle for this bike? Is it possible that it threads into the casting?

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

I can assure you it is not threaded into the housing. It is a straight shot right out of the gear housing. I'm thinking your corrosion hypothosis is the most plausible with the possibility of a badly worn axle bearing hanging up the spindle shaft running a close second. Would you be able to post a picture of the fixture you built? I'm curious as to how it is constructed.

9. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Maybe you could fabricate something to attach to a slide hammer.
    Just keep putting the pb blaster to it and keep hitting back and forth on the axle. Just be sure not to damage the threads. Of course you are probably in need of a new one anyway by the sounds of it, it's not going to be in good shape when you get it out .
    Good luck.

10. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm Member

11. RichMN

RichMN New Member

Thanks for the exploded view drawing. It's just a guess, but I think item number 8 might be seized (rusted) onto the spindle.
    BTW, I posted a few pictures of the puller I made but it hasn't solved my problem as of yet.

12. RichMN

RichMN New Member

That exploded diagram helps a lot! I can now slide the spindle through the gear housing on the left side of the bike. I can also slide the spindle through the right side swing arm. I cannot slide the spindle through the right side bake housing. That is where it is stuck tight. But since I'm able to slide it around, I am spraying a lot of WD40 (don't have PB Blaster yet) through the small opening.
    It's even hard for me to believe it can be this stuck, but it is. This thing will come off if I have to tear down my 20 ton shop press to do it! I just hope I don't break something important or I'll be buying parts from ebay.

13. Nick

Nick Member

Good to hear movement has taken place!

I'm thinking you have brake dust/dirt & rust/corrosion binding the shaft to the brake housing bushing?

Can't figure on much else in there that could give that much trouble, unless as Robert suggested a bearing problem.

If my memory is correct the spacer is a sloppy fit to the shaft.

14. RichMN

RichMN New Member

Finally! Wow was this hard to get out. Thanks everyone for the help and moral support.
    Here's how I got it out.

1) Soaked spindle with a can of WD40.
    2) Attached a square pipe to the right end of the spindle with an Allan wrench through the spindle hole.
    3) Tried turning the spindle with a pipe wrench attached to the square pipe. No luck.
    4) Added a pipe to the pipe wrench handle. No luck.
    5) Used two pipe wrenches with pipes on the handles and a second person.
    6) It finally cracked loose but was still extremely tight.
    7) Continually added WD40.
    8) Used puller to push out the spindle along with some convincing from a hammer.

I'll add pictures to my gallery.

15. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

WOW!!!! That is freaking incredible! I'm awed!!!

16. Nick

Nick Member

Holy crap 8O
    Can you tell what/where it was binding on?

17. Robert

Robert Active Member

Dang, that was a nifty jig you rigged up! And it didn't do the trick? Glad to hear you got it out, now what exactly was the problem? Post mortem please.

18. RichMN

RichMN New Member

The spindle was completely frozen to the brake housing. You can somewhat see that end is rusted in the picture. I'm probably pretty lucky that I didn't break something. I plan to put anti-seize compound on the spindle when I put it back together. It sure didn't help that I let it sit for so long I guess. I'll put some pictures of my bike in my gallery when I have it back together.

19. Robert

Robert Active Member

I would suggest a quality high EP grease for the application (after you have removed the rust from both the axle and brake housing).

20. HooNz

HooNz Member

Good job , i think you have a patent , a pusher puller....