1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

To trust the tube, or not to trust the tube...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by spamsxj550, Sep 3, 2008.

1. spamsxj550

spamsxj550 New Member

ok so i got a nail in my almost brand new back tire. the people at the shop said they wouldnt plug it as that is dangerous. so i was going to get a new tire but they are all back ordered until late september. so they put a tube in it for now so i can keep driving till then. so my question is. Should i really trust a tube? or am i just asking for trouble riding around on it?

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I picked up a nail 2 years ago, back tire of my Silver Wing. Put in a tube, no leaks, no problems. Tubes theoretically make more heat. Any nail puncture will break a cord or 3 ?? so it depends on how you feel.

You feelin' lucky ?

3. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

try chapparal racing for quick delivery of tires, and cheep delivery as far as I am concerned

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nothing wrong with running a tube anyway in a tubeless rim. My Norton has wire wheels and therefore tube-type tires, and I've only had two flats in 34 years of ownership, neither related to the fact that there was a tube in there vs. tubeless. If I had a puncture in a nearly-new tire,
    I would certainly run a tube in that tire until it gets worn out rather than just replace it.

6. grimreaper169

grimreaper169 Member

Bikes ran on tubed tires long before tubless came along.

7. maxim82

maxim82 Member

Being that the general consesus has been "to each their own", as far as the tube vs tubeless war goes. I need a tube. Does anyone have a reasonably priced tube supplier?
    Oh~oh don't tell me.... Chacal is in the process of cornering this market also? :lol:

'82 XJ650J Maxim - Factory

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a tube for that tire at any Motorcycle Dealership.

If you bring the Wheel in anyplace to have the Tube installed ... make sure you get the Tubeless Tire Valve Stem returned to you.

Guys get cranking at Shops and will remove the Tubeless adapter and set it on the Tire Machine and forget they just removed it ... getting lost in not pinching the Tube installing the Tube for you.

Save it.
    You'll want it when you get ready for another new tire.

9. maxim82

maxim82 Member

Yeah I was trying to keep away from my local dealer if at all possible. They're located on the Highway which apparently qualifies them to be Highway Robbers by their prices for ANYTHING.
    Good point about the valve stem! I'll remember that.
    Thanks

10. bigfitz52

So if they were on a backroad somewhere they'd just be Backroad Bandits? There has to be an honest, small old-school bike shop around you somewhere. The one I frequent is actually a Honda dealer but it doesn't matter to them, they mounted and balanced the tire on my 19" Norton rear, complete with rimlock and did a better job than anyone has ever done. Even trued up the rim a tad in the process. (They think the restored Yammie is cool, too...)

11. maxim82

maxim82 Member

Wow you just gave me a V8 moment. I was thinking I'd install my own tube but "duh" I would have to have it balanced afterwards. Yeah I have a local bike shop that can do that. They're not fast but hey I'm not going anywhere yet.

Thanks

12. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

If you have 2 chairs, you have a balancer. Over the summer I balanced 5 of my tires- - one was 3 1/2 OZ off !!
    You can balance your own down to about 1/4 OZ.

13. maxim82

maxim82 Member

Do you have any teeth or did they all rattle out? Just kidding. Apparently I'm not ingenous as you.

14. spamsxj550

spamsxj550 New Member

OH NO! i didnt see the thread about the tubeless tire valve stem till right now.........and dumb me didnt get if from the shop........how hard is it going to be to get a new one once its time for a new tire?.....

15. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

It'll cost about 5 bucks. Every metric dealership has them.

16. bigfitz52

The "broomstick between two chairs" wheel balancer is as old as dirt (see Polock about the pat. pending.) It's also not very accurate. Better than nothing, BUT good motorcycle shops in THIS CENTURY have these marvelous things called dynamic (spin) balancers that are very accurate. I run I-94 at 80mph in Detroit rush hour traffic. I don't need a bouncing wheel because I didn't want to spend $30. Of course it's up to you, but if you DO occasionally exceed the national speed limit by more than a digit or two, you might want to get it done professionally.

17. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

It might be "as old as dirt" but some of the "younguns" around here might not have thought of doing it. Not to sound argumenative, but a dynamic balance on a 3 inch wide tire is about a waste of time.

If you can honestly tell the difference between a "broomstick balance" and a $30 balance, well, that's just fine by me.

And Polock did an in-depth study on this, and Dyna-beads.

18. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I can balance a wheel by hanging the axle between two chairs and get results every bit as good as an automatic spin balancer will do. Much better than a spin balancer that isn't 100% set up correctly (gravity requires no adjustment).

Only reason to use a spin balancer on a typical motorcycle tire is because it's a lot faster. Spin for a few seconds, it tells you how much weight and where, and you're done. Manually doing them requires lots of trial and error.

My tires have on occasion exceeded the speed limit.........