1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Brakes upgrade

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by HalfCentury, Nov 30, 2008.

1. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

I would like to add another disc brake to my XJ650.

If I get a SECA right fork can I put a 650 Maxim caliper on it? The 650 Maxim caliper goes on a left fork and the SECA caliper goes on the right fork.

Anyone have experience doing this?

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Half----Just Say No! to that idea.

The only correct swap for adding dual discs to your bike is the purchase of a complete set of forks from a 1982-83 XJ750 Maxim or XJ750 Midnight Maxim model. They are the ony true "bolt-on" type of swap you'll find that won't cause you to have to fight and fabricate and yell and curse and scream.

3. spinalator

spinalator Member

Maxims suck get a seca and be done with it. ;) (j/k)

4. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

What if I can get the triple trees and forks from a Seca? Will that bolt onto the Maxim?

5. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

Maxim 1100 front forks?

6. wizard

wizard Active Member

fork assembly part # XJ650.........5N8-23102-00-00
    XJ1100.......10M-23102-00-00

unless you talk to someone who has done it, I wouldn't try.

7. chacal

The 650 Seca forks are the right size (tube diameter), but they have the front axle mounted directly BELOW the fork tubes, whereas the 650 Maxim models use a "leading" front axle....in other words, the 650 Maxim has the axle mounted IN FRONT OF the fork tubes. This changes the steeering geometry of the bike, and will affect the steering, handling, and braking performance of the bike, and perhaps not in ways that are useful nor safe.

The 750 Seca front forks are the right size (tube diameter), but they are horribly complicated things with their anti-dive system.

The 1100 front tubes are larger in diameter, which means you must then use the 1100 upper and lower "trees" (steering brackets), which means you won't be able to mount properly (if at all) the 650 handlebars, headlight ears, etc.

The 750 Maxim/Midnight Maxims are the ONLY forks that have:

a) the proper tube diameter (same as the 650 Maxim, MEANING YOU CAN USE THE 650 MAXIM STEERING BRACKETS, which will simplify your swap beyond my ability to find the proper words to describe).

b) the same tube length (about)

c) allow for use of the stock 750 Maxim dual front disc brakes.

d) have the leading front axle design.

You will, of course, need to upgrade to a larger front master cylinder, and use the 750 Maxim brake hose, hose routing brackets, etc. The 650 Maxim front fender will bolt onto the 750 lower tubes just fine. You should re-use the 650 upper and lower steering brackets, and the 650 Maxim brake distribution "elbow" (which, btw, is what was used ont he 1983 750 Maxim models; the 1982 750 Maxim used a "dual outlet" brake hose distribution joint which will NOT bolt up onto the 650 Maxim lower steering bracket). You will need to use the "double depth" brake hose union bolt onb the bottom of the distribution elbow/joint.

8. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

Thanks Chacal. I will wait until I can find a 750 Maxim/Midnight set of forks/calipers/etc

9. chacal

P.S. of the two years, the 1983 XJ750 Maxim or Midnight Maxim forks are the more preferrable ones to use, as they do not have the "compensated" fork air supply line thingy-system that the 1982 XJ750 Maxim models use.......

10. spinalator

spinalator Member

BTW. The PO of my seca blocked off the antidive mechanism, and it works fine.