1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 550 seca Camchain adjust

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by milo, Feb 14, 2010.

1. milo

milo New Member

After reading here a bit I want to adjust the cam chain tention and have read to align the "c" mark up after turning the engine counterclockwise and a question is ... The pointer should point exactly at the C or in between the holes next to it ??? Or is this close enough .. Haven't seen any pictures though...

thanks for any input :arrow:

Attached Files:

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Point it at the "C".

The holes might not be close enough. The idea is to release the tensioner when the cams are relaxed so there is no torque on the chain.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If there isn't a "tic" next to the letter "C" on the plate it should pretty much point at the "C." One of my bikes has a barely discernable mark, my other bike has a nice obvious one. (see below)

From the factory book:

[​IMG]

Take a look at this pic: You can see where the "C" mark is on my timing plate (just passing the ignitor)

--not the right position for cam chain adjustment, just to show you where the mark on the plate should be--

[​IMG]

And just in case:

[​IMG]

4. milo

milo New Member

Glad I asked , thanks you guys,,once the light hit it right it jumped out after seeing where to look. It kinda blended with the tab at first.

Then a 12mm socket followed by a 10mm under the carbs on the right side.

Attached Files: