1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stupid is as stupid does: Cable lube tool

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vintagerice, Mar 5, 2010.

1. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

Got this cable lube tool from Len, looking at it and haven't the faintest idea how to use it. Anybody have any instructions they'd care to share?

Hope to get a response soon as I am heading out to the garage soon.

thanks,'Rob

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Don't hesitate to PM chacal. I had a similar experiance with a steering bearing removal tool, and we had several PM's going back and forth before I figured out what I was supposed to do.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

If so, the larger opening end of it snuggles onto the end of the cable with the inner cable sticking out the other end. Mine has internal "steps" for different sizes of cable, I'm sure that one will too.

Then you tighten up the clamping bit.

Then you press the "straw" from your favorite lube into the little hole in one of the rubber "dots" on the side and pull the trigger.

The lube is forced into the cable thru the luber. It helps to wrap a rag around it in case the straw jumps loose.

Squirt lube until it comes out the other end. If you have any splits/damage in your cable sheath, you will find it.

Mike Othmer likes this.
  4. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

yeah, sure does, came from Chacal.

I thought that might be how it worked however does not seem to be soaking in. after giving it a shot it kind of foams up and runs out. Maybe the cable lube needs to come in for a while and warm up.

Thanks,
    Rob

5. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

it was doing that to me at first, to fix it i had to keep tightening the tool onto the cable as i went

6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I did this last night with my Harbor Freight cable luber. I found that the cable sheath couldn't be jammed too high up in the "steps" - or the rubber wouldn't clamp right on the cable at the top and you wouldn't get a good seal around it. Try pulling the sheath down a "step" and retightening the tool. The slit and hole in the top that the rubber goes through should close up tight. If you still see a slit, it's not on right.

The spray can cable lube will get forced right out the other end of the cable. Took me a couple of tries to get it, but it worked really well. Also, try spraying in short bursts, not continuously.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1 +1. If it's inner step is jammed up tight against the end of the cable the lube can't get into the cable. Still need to wrap a rag around it, it's not a leakproof seal by any stretch.

Short bursts work well as pressure builds up in the tool itself, when you momentarily stop that pressure is "spent" forcing the lube through the cable. Keep shpritzing until it starts to burble out on the rag you have in position at the other end.

It does take a bit of technique; but I've been using mine since 1980 or so and wouldn't give it up for anything. It's FUN! One of the coolest tools in the box.
    (Mine's blue and says "YAMAHA" on it. It was free.)