1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front axle assembly tip

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by gitbox, Apr 11, 2010.

1. gitbox

gitbox Member

I thought I would share this and maybe prevent someone from duplicating my stupid mistake. (please don't laugh)

When tightening the front axle, snug up the nut real tight first by holding it with the hole on the other end. THEN torque the fork pinch bolt followed by the final torque on the axle nut. I found (stupidly) that if you tighten the pinch bolt first to hold the axle and then torque the axle nut, it can pull the fork leg out of alignment and cause the rotor to be off center in the caliper slot.

A real palm to the forehead moment for me.

2. winterman97

winterman97 New Member

I did it to gitbox, but it took me a while to figure out why the rotor was rubbing. just letting you know your not alone.

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

if all the spacers are in the correct possition this shoudn't happen, in fact, by tightening up the pinch bolt first, you are more likely to pull the forks out of line.

4. gitbox

gitbox Member

Right, Wiz. That's what I was saying.

5. wizard

wizard Active Member

yeh, just read your post again, must be a bit early:-
    things can only get better, now who said that, was it Ms S Palin?

6. richardclickner

richardclickner New Member

Ya beat me to posting this. I'm doing the howling speedo disasembly and lube thing and had taken the front wheel off to grease the speedo drive gear. When I put it back on failed to notice the right disk was not centered in the caliper. scratched my disc a little on the test drive.

7. munkiep

munkiep Member

my forks are out of alignment and i think i figured it out...i dont have any spacer on the front axle that i can tell. the castle nut was tightened all the way to the end of the threads (closest to the fork)and there was still a 1/8" gap between the fork tube and the nut. so i went to the parts store and picked up some washers to correct it, my only problem is, in what order do i put the washers? i cant find a picture anywhere

8. wizard

wizard Active Member

9. munkiep

munkiep Member

ah, of course! didnt think to look there wiz... as far as i can tell, im missing 2 pieces (collar and washer). but my setup seems reversed from the diagram i am looking at. the speed sensor on mine is on the same side as the rotor and caliper