1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ 650 Spoked rim Swap?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RoadRash, Nov 28, 2010.

1. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

Been looking for answers, both here and webwide, with no such luck. Anybody know if there are any spoked rims out there that will bolt up directly to an 82 XJ 650 Maxim like mine? I've seen some one mention Virago rims, but couldn't verify this AND didn't know what year(s) they were talking about. I'm morphing mine into a cafe bike, and prefer the look of classic spoke rims.

2. vanimal

vanimal Member

i got one on order, i'll let you know if it works. It's from a virago 535, dont think it matters what year, as long as it's spoked. The rim is only a 15", but i'm thinking of lacing up a bigger rim to the hub, which should be fairly easy. I figured finding a hub that works with the drum brake and shaft drive is the hardest part, so if this works, the rest is easy.

3. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

Good point. the hub WOULD be key, I guess. After that, anything else should be easy, right? Thanks!

What year is your donor hub from? forgot that the Viragos span quite a few years, and chances are, only certain year would work.

4. Brockzila

Brockzila New Member

I was lookin in to spoked rears and decided that the 15 was not a option.

but the hub is all i would need as i want to fit a 17" wheels front and rear i would just fit a new hoop and spokes.

why did i not think of that!!

ebay here i come!!

5. uhoh

uhoh Member

Keep us updated on your findings!

6. vanimal

vanimal Member

the listing said 1995, but i wouldnt think there would be a difference. if it's a 15" spoked rear wheel from a 535, then it is likely the exact same thing i just purchased. i believe that's the only virago that came with spokes.

7. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

I'm concerned with the old and the new parts mating up, properly. I have no idea if Yamaha changed designs over the lifespan of the Virago line.

8. vanimal

vanimal Member

dont know what to tell ya, that's pretty unlikely. they dont change stuff just because it's tuesday, especially on entry level bikes like that.
    The gear box and brakes are proven, they've been using the same stuff on the xj's for years. They also all look the same, so there's no logical reason why they'd change.
    you'd have to buy one and try it i guess.

9. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

There were many Virago's with spoked rims (many years). I've seen rear Virago wheels put on a Maxim front, but to put one on the rear you'll have to use a spacer. I would think that the front axles are the same.

10. vanimal

vanimal Member

what viragos besides the 535?

11. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

I know they put spokes on virago xv700 and xv1100 but I could not tell you if they are any different from what you have. I am planning on doing a spoke swap myself keep me posted on how it is going. But the hubs look the same to me.

12. vanimal

vanimal Member

will do!

BTW, a quick peek at the schematics show that 1990-2000 535 rear wheels are the same. 87-89 show a different part number for the hub, but all the other parts are the same, which means it'll likely be swapable with the 1990-2000's.

13. vanimal

vanimal Member

so i got my 1995 virago 535 rear wheel today. There's some differences.
    First off, the brake is bigger on the 535 wheel, so the drum assembly will be needed.
    next would be the axle. The xj has a 17mm, the 535 has a 15mm. One bearing can be had in a 17mm (actually i think it's swapable with the xj bearing), but the other one is not. You would have to buy a bearing with a 20mm id, and make a bushing. Also, the drum brake cover would have to be drilled out to 17mm as well.
    The 535 hub is about 11mm wider between bearings. I do not have the brake drum for the 535 wheel yet, so i do not know how that will change this difference. If the drum cover is thinner in that area, it may not matter. If it's thicker, it could be a bigger problem. As long as it isnt too much thicker, i think this could be managable for most.
    Last but not least. The bolt pattern for the spline on the hub for the gearbox is the same, however there is a lip on the 535 hub that prevents the splined piece from sitting flat down. This can be machined off, but you kinda need a machine shop to do it. Not a huge deal at all for me, but is likely a deal breaker for most.
    One thing i havent checked yet is the centerline of the wheel in relation to the edge of the gear box. If this is different than the xj wheel, it'll likely cause problems for most.

So in short, it is a project if you intend to use the xj gear box and axle. However, it could be less of an issue if you get a gear box and axle from a virago. I will not be buying a viago gear box to test this, so i'll have to leave that up to someone else.
    For my purposes, it will work just fine once i get a brake, but my bike is far from a stock xj650. It's completely hardtailed and stretched without using the stock swingarm.

14. danno

danno Member

Just a thought, but I bet a spoked rear wheel from a second generation Virago (like a 1985 XV700 Virago) would be a direct swap, if you had all of the brake components. Is the 535 wheel a 15" rim?

15. Orange-n-Black

Since I've had my 700, I've been a little upset about the whole rear end of these bikes. Not being able to put a fatter tire on or the small amount of choices for rims.I've been thinking about changing my shafty to chain or belt drive and I think I've come up with a solution.

First remove the shaft and swing arm. Then tear apart the pumkin, take the spline gear that drives the rim and attach it to the shaft drive gear exiting the tranny. Then use the pinion and shaft as a jack shaft assembly to the right side of the bike. Attach a sprocket or pully. Then you can fab a swingarm or use a donor ( maybe a CBR right side drive) that will use a wider tire and upgrade to a disc brake.

So what do you guys think.

16. wizard

wizard Active Member

I think you're on to something, there, OnB, especially if you are stretching the rear end. Can you get someone to draw it up?

17. Orange-n-Black

I'll see what I can do.

18. venlis

venlis Member

why have i missed this thread?? thank you vanimal for sharing!! i have been thinking if the bolt pattern would be the same on the 535...
    im with danno the 85 750cc virago uses even the same flange as my xj.

now how about lacing the spokes offset on the rim? would get me even fatter tire :D

19. Orange-n-Black

Ok guys I don't ave cad software so this will have to do.

Attached Files:

20. wizard

wizard Active Member

I can't read your description O&B & Im sure you have thought about it:
    a. direction of rotation.
    b. when the power transfers into the hub it gears down, will turning it round gear it up?