1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ 1100 "Naked Boy" project - Finished

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by thecamelman79, Dec 17, 2010.

1. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

Ok Guys,
    Me and Salty Dog (My Father) have been tinkering around with "Naked boy" a 82 XJ1100 Texas bike with 23K on the clock. For the longest time it sat in the garage with nothing done to it. When we first brought it home we pulled the carbs, cleaned them, installed a fresh battery, rebuilt the fuse box, and fired him up.
    Ran ok but we had the low spark problem and only wanted to start when you let off the button. So back to basics, from the plugs all the way back to the TCI cleaned ever connection and ground up and coated everything with di-electric grease, and tried again. (Still weak but better) It was rideable.
    So with a 1 gallon gas can hung from the bars and no seat on the bike Salty Dog heads down the drive way and first gear it screwed. (Rat-a-tat-tat) like a machine gun going off. So shifting up into second he continued the ride. Pulled like a frieght train! But with with first gear gone and 6 other bikes in the stable it seams like the naked boy might end up and a parts bike do to the lack of confidenece in the first and second gear fix, and the lack of willingness to part with an a hundred buck for a new gear.
    She sat in the corner for a couple of months (actually behind the buffing wheel) (OMG that thing got covered) put it out of our heads for a while. Then over many cups of coffee and a few beers we decided to attack 1st gear with the dremel fix. We flipped her over, followed the instructions on the XS11.com tech tips, and slapped her back together. Much to are surprise it didn't just work, it worked Fantastic!, and best of all "No more Russian tractor" 1st gear slips in just as quite as 5th.
    Although we still had a weak spark issued to deal with. So we went after the harness again. We swaped out a known working set of coils and TCI from the "Naked Boy's" sister "The Fat girl" or her full name "Black Betty the Fat bitch" (A full fairing with bags 82 xj1100) Double checked all the connections and tried again. The TCI an coils didn't fix it but going through the wires again did slightly increase the spark. not enough though to call it fixed. During our rebuild process I plann to completely reconditon the wiring harness, as i'm sure its just a matter of a connection needing to be fixed that I couldn't get to while on the bike, an we also are serouisly thinking of new after market coils as the stockers weren't all that great to begin with.
    So first gear fixed and spark solutions well set in our minds, the bike sat again with us wondering what we wanted to do. Tune it and leave it dirty and ride the hell out of it next summer (Free & little time) , Fluff & buff? ( a winters worth of detailing and cleaning and not really acheiving a beutiful bike- pretty cheap) or a completely tear down cleaning, scrubing, buffing, polishing, painting, & wiring down to frame and back up in which we would be proud of ever detail. After which we would truely have a naked clasic beast that would not only be amazing to ride, but would draw attention from every one we run acrossed in are travels? (Lost of time, Lots of Coffee, and more money then we really want to spend)
    Below you will find a short video of what we decided to do, it's only the start and I will post pictures occasionally for you all to follow along with, but we have deffinatly took our first steps.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9hepIzxiRkI?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9hepIzxiRkI?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hepIzxiRkI

We started at 12:30 and were drinking coffee by 4:30. and as you can see we took are time doing it. I even installed some new grips on the fat girl!

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Re: 82 XJ 1100 "Naked Boy" project started

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the work in progress. What are you going to do with all the left over parts? I'm interested on the saddlebags.

3. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

I hope to not have any extra parts :D but God knows when I'm putting it back together I'm sure to say "now were the F*(&^ does that go?!?!" There are no bags on the "naked boy". His sister the "fat girl" is a full dresser hence the names. I bought both of them at them same time and they are the exact same bikes, one dressed, one not, so I thought the names and sibling relationship were appropiate. the Fat girl is nearing my short term "Fluff and Buff" completion goal, and the hope is once I'm down with "naked boy" we can have 2 XJ's for different moods. One for cruising and one for twistys. I hope to have him well completed before spring comes around.
    Also on a little side note we have come to the conclusion that the naked boy has more then likely got a big bore kit in him do to the very strong consistaint compression #'s we got. and the fact then when I put the synch sticks on him he decided he wanted a good slug of murcury and sucked it all up at 400 rpms (very good vac). When doing the first gear we learned that someone has already been inside him before. We found a New second gear that was factory back cut. clutch basket had been off before (retaining washer show signs) and the head and case has been split (hardening gasket sealer driped along the case and heads) also during his test ride he had GOBS more power then his sister did.

4. waldo

waldo Member

Cool video looking forward to updates

5. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

Hey guys,
    I decide to start with something small Yesterday. The rear Fender. I only got one before shot of the under side so I'm kind annoyed by that, Just gotta learn to be quicker with the Black Berry I guess.

[​IMG]

Before - Underside of fender.

[​IMG]

After - Underside of fender - Salty Dog (Dad) had done some research on the net about using electrolysis to remove rust from steel. So after scrubbing with Dawn dish soap (note Dawn dish soap is the single most useful thing in the garage) for some time there was still allot of rust and gunk that would not let loose. 10 mins in the tank and a little scrubbing and OMG 95% of the remaining material let loose. (freaking neato)

[​IMG]

Left Hand side of fender

[​IMG]

Right Hand side of fender

[​IMG]

Rear view shot of fender - Every thing came down to parade rest. Ever bolt was soaked and scrubbed, ever piece of rubber was soaked with back to black, electrical connections were cleaned and die-electric applied. and everything got a nice coat of wax before re-assembling.

[​IMG]

Top side of Rear plastic half

[​IMG]

Bottom side of Rear plastic half - Washed {Dawn dish soap it Great stuff) Back to black was brushed in - Buff - And the Black colored turtle wax was applied to seal it all in (neat stuff)

I also decide the day before the tear down to Restore the YICS emblems on the side of the Cases

[​IMG]

Before and on the bike - This was one of the better looking ones.

[​IMG]

Why only do one, when you can do them all and get a rhythm going.
    (I could kick myself this morning though as I remember there is one more set on the parts bike in the trailer that needs to be done. - oh well)

[​IMG]

I also decided to go ahead install a pair on the Fat Girl because her side covers were oh so shiny.

[​IMG]

And of course "Naked Boy" less tank and seat before we started the tear down.

Hope you guys enjoy,
    Now time to pour another cup of coffee, fire up the heater, and pick another random part to play with. :)

6. SilverSeca

SilverSeca Member

Very nice work and names. How did you do the yics covers?

7. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

Pulled them off the bike with a chisel. striped them to bare metal, Straighted out the dents, black 500 degree paint, little tiny artist brush, red model paint on the letters, and a coat of lear 500 degree and back on with 3m dbl sided tape. I did 7 badges start to finish with dry times in 7 hours cleaned the garage and talked on the phone between dry time. painting the red with the artist brush is the really time consuming part. So pull up a chair, get a cup of coffee and take your time . Its really time consuming for such a little peice but I think the results speak for themselves. It really finishes the covers off. I also masked of the covers when I polished them and cut out the black ring and leter with blue painter tape and painted with high temp black.

8. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

Well we continued on picking two more small parts to clean up and degreased and pressure washed the engine and frame.

I started with the tool box and license plate holders. In an Attempt not to lose any nuts and bolts. I am leaving and cleaning up pieces in chunks as they were removed from the bike. It makes it allot easier to remember how everything goes back together.

Before Shots on tool box.
    When I split the plate holder apart it was covered in light rust. Chrome polish and a tooth brush made short work of the clean up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shined up. Mother's Back to Black brushed up and sealed with Black Turtle wax really does a nice job on these plastic pieces. The metal Bracket got a soaked in the electrolysis tank and a couple of coats of paint applied. the License plate bracket cleaned up great with Chrome polish and a dip in the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Air Box before Shots - It was heavily scratched and gouged on the top and bottom. and discolored pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though it was just an air box I couldn't resist myself and had to strip it apart and clean and ever little nook and cranny.
    I am less the excited with the results on the clean up of this, but hey its just and air box that only 2 little stops are visible when assembled.

Air box after clean up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mean while Salty Dog took advantage of the warm 42' day and used gel engine degreaser on the motor and frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He soaked, with degreaser, scrub, and washed, then did it again, and got some amazing results. most of the engine Gray paint was in great shape, except for what was on the fins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now after cleaning He found something weird. A whole in the rear casing. Its not perfectly round so it doesn't look like it was drilled or done on purpose. Any body have any ideas what it might be from? A flaw in the casting?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some good link on rust removal through electrolysis.

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Miscellaneous/Rust_Removal.htm

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22621&highlight=Electrolysis

Till next time -Camel

9. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

what did you end up using to seal your metal so that it wont rust again? i was planning on doing it inside my gas tank and try to clean it up...

looks good...

10. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

On Aluminum I use turtle wax, on steel I used "Ospho" then paint. on the inside of the Gas tank we simply used "Ospho" 2 coats swirled around the tank. And when it goes back together a fuel filter will most deffinatly be installed just incase. The idea being is the tank should not rust as long as you keep fuel in it. We have creamed tanks before and have had mixed results not to mention the extra cost.

11. waldo

waldo Member

My 1100 has the exact same hole in the casing stuck a wire in it did not seem to go very deep not sure what its there for. Looking good keep the pics comming

12. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

With Christmas so close and last minute shopping to do. I really did have much time to work on the naked boy today, I did remove the rear swing arm, tires and shocks though. I couldn't stand it and had to go after one of these shocks. Its worth noteing that while the upper casings are still aluminum they are very hard, much like the XJ's side covers. Polishing on these are very slow and tedious. Hence the fact I only got one finished.
    Before Shot
    [​IMG]

After Shot
    [​IMG]

L8R - and Merry Christmas guys -Camel

13. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

Happy new year folks,
    Well the work on the Naked Boy has been a little hit or miss lately, and when it has been done. nobody seemed to remember to break out the camera. :confused:
    But i did take some after shots that you guys should appreciate,

Lately we borrow a buzz box welder and welded up a cracked center stand an a small spot in the frame.

Ground down and cleaned up some sloppy existing welds, and sand blasted the frame.

Here's what it looks like after salt dog applied the first coat of paint on some of the larger items,

[​IMG]

At the same time we picked up a soda blaster from harbor freight, plugged off all the hole (yeah I know soda wont hurt inside the motor but whatever) and proceeded to blast the motor. then I removed the other covers, gave it a scrub bath with dawn dish soap, filed square all the fins with a file, Sanded the YICS logo on the valve covers smooth, Dried and gave it a acetone bath.

I really hope to get a coat of grey on the motor tomorrow, but its going to be 65 out so a ride may be in order first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the engine stand we made and the dowels sticking out of the lower front motor mounts. This is a perfect pivot point that as you can see lets you tip it up and down and allow you full access to top and bottom of the motor. "Salty Dogs Design"

I will also say that i am only moderately impressed with the soda blasting, It leaves a good surface for starting to polish and does an OK job of removing the paint, but it had no were near the "magic" quality that I've read about so many times. We had a 15lb blaster from harbor freight 60$ a 50lb bag of soda 50$ and rental of a compressor to handle it 35$. so at 145$ plus tax you may be able to get it done professionally and with there access to better equipment, you might be happier with the end results.

Happy new year guys!

14. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

So that's what people mean by using your noodle! Lookin' good so far.

15. johndo

johndo New Member

Talking to Janedo's owner today and he mentioned the engine mounting system you designed. looks like a good use for an old worn out B&D work mate.

16. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

One more time into the Breach Boys!

Well I accomplished 2 things today. Went on a couple of short rides on an absolutely gorgeous 65' day in North Carolina "hard to believe its January, and got a coat of Rustoleame 2000' flat aluminum paint on the motor.

First I rewashed the motor down with acetone and a tooth brush making sure ever thing was pristinely clean the using a combination of duct tape, blue tape, and exacto knife I painstakingly masked of all the wet case areas, holes, valve cover, and everything else I didn't want to clean paint up from. Once again the tipping feature of the stand came in real handy allowing me to paint the entire thing at one time.

Heres the motor with no paint and prepped.
    [​IMG]

Starting to apply paint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completely painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I plan to mask off everything to paint the lower jugs Gloss Black and paint the valve cover with Black crinkle paint, but that will have to wait a couple of days

The one thing I need advice with is the lines following the jug split masking black from gray on the stock XJ seem to be a real pain the butt to follow and make look sharp. Have any of you done this and learned any tricks that worked good?

If your enjoying this then Stay Tuned! more to follow. If not them I'm sorry for bumping your threads to page two! :p

-Camel

17. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

I also have a old heavy duty bread rolling cart undeneth the stand. The Stand is worth it's weight in gold if you are going to try something like this.

18. skillet

skillet Active Member

Quite the job of masking everything with the tape :wink: . You don't worry about painting in those temps???

skillet

19. schooter

schooter Active Member

wow, first time i saw this, love these types of restores, you and wiz both do this very well

20. Saltydog

Saltydog Member

When are you going to put the engine back in to the frame?