1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spoke wheels for Maxim 550

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 16ozbud, Feb 26, 2011.

1. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Just a little FYI for anyone intersted: Bought virago 250 spoked wheels off EBAY that came with axles and spacers to replace the swirl mags on my 550 Maxim. Here's how it went:
    Front wheel
    The front wheel had the brake rotor. Using my Maxim 550 axle and the Virago spacers, the wheel was a direct bolt in replacement. The rotor fit between the XJ brake caliper very nicely. The Virago axle is shorter than the XJ's, so I had to use the Maxim axle. The only difference is the Maxim wheel is 19", the Virago is 18".
    Rear wheel
    The rear wheel came with the drum brake assembly and the sprocket. The Maxim axle will not work. The ID of the Virago wheel bearngs are smaller than the XJ's. Strangely, the Virago rear axle is longer than the XJ rear axle so I needed to put a spacer/shim between the castle nut and axle plate. The wheel is a 15" as opposed to the 16" of the Maxim. The sprockets were both 45T. Using the Virago axle and spacers, the Virago rear wheel(with the Virago cushdrive, sprocket and drum brakes) was a direct plug n play also. Just thought I'd share that info...

2. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

Pics?

3. venlis

venlis Member

this thread is worthless without pics!

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rim widths, front and rear, please?

5. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Really? It's more of an "FYI" type thing. Anyone interested in spoke wheels may appreciate this info. I'm just putting it out there that it can be done without machining spacers or sleeves and don't need to find special size bearings. If you can't comprehend how a bike will look with spokes as opposed to mags, then yes, this thread is definitely worthless to you. I really didn't think pics were needed. So, maybe I overestimated some of you and your mental capacities. If it's a "trust" thing where you need to see it to believe it, well I could put a pic up, but how will you know I didn't do any machine work on it and it's a plug n play fit? The info is here. That's all. Nothing more. Nothing less.

As for the widths, Fitz, I do know the tire sizes. Front is 3.00 18. Rear is 130 90 15. If you're looking for hub widths, I can measure them when I get time. The SECAs are 15" in the rear, are they not?

6. bigfitz52

The rim widths should be stamped in them somewhere, it's a Federal requirement. (They're cast into the originals.)

The Seca has an 18" rear and a 19" front; if the hubs and sprockets work then lacing up bigger rims is not an issue. I planned to pull the wheels apart anyway to powder-coat the rims and hubs.

What's REALLY COOL is that the Virago rear wheel/hub assembly contains a cush drive, something that is missing from the TT/XT500 parts I was looking at. I'm a little worried about the front brake rotor, as EBC lists the XV535 as being the same as our 550s, but not the 250. Could you double-check the brake rotor diameters against each other?

When you get a minute, could you count the number of spokes in each wheel, front and rear? That will allow me to explore rim options.

I can't run a short fat rear and a skinny front like you can on a "cruiser" and get away with it; but you may have just solved the hub dilemna, especially the rear, which is the real key to wire wheels.

GOOD INFO. Thank you.

7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

HOLY SHIT, who pissed in your Cornflakes this morning! 8O

Not exactly one of the best responses to questions of what you did and how you did it. Maybe someone or several people can't comprehend what you describe without a picture or two, and overestimating forum members mental capacities! WTF!!!!
    Then your very last sentence you ask for help.
    You got balls and nerve, chill the f*** out!

8. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Fitz, the stamping on front is 18x 1.60 and is 36 spoke. Rear is 2.75x 15 and is also 36 spoke. The diameter of the Maxim and Virago rotor appear to be the same. (I didn't have a tape handy, so I used a piece of string to compare the two, so I don't have the diameter measurements.)

As for my mood, Max, let's just say it's a "reap what you sow" type thing. If someone feels this thread is worthless, then that person shouldn't comment. Move along. He added nothing but a smart a$$ remark, which deserves a smart a$$ rebuttle. Just click off and move along if you have nothing constructive to add. Seems pretty simple to me, MYOB!!! If you'd like pics, simply ask and ye shall receive. But that is definitely NOT the way to get pics. I have pics of the wheels on the bike, but I really don't see how that can help anyone. I really don't. My last line wasn't an ask for help. It was more of a conversation piece. I know Fitz has quite the extensive array of knowledge about these bikes. I don't own a Seca, but thought they had a 15" rear which would be even better for the spoke swap than the Maxim. Didn't want to say without knowing for certain, something many around here needs to practice. So if that means I have balls and nerve, so be it. I'll still sleep good tonight.

9. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I'm sure that those persons with XJ550 Maxims will be greatly indebted to you for your pioneer efforts on improving the looks of their bikes (swirley wheels are not for everyone). Disregard the nay-sayers and press onward, but do consider updating this thread with pictures of the finished product when possible :wink: . Like you, I very much appreciate informative postings regardless of whether or not they include pictures (although sometimes it IS better to explain a process/end result with a photo rather than words).

10. bigfitz52

AMEN to that, brother. More people should practice that credo.

And thanks for your efforts. I'm looking at the 535 Virago for a 19" front (and the exact same brake rotor) and you've solved the rear hub quandry.

Better yet, Mike's XS has 36-hole "WM" Yamaha style alloy rims (apparently a Yamaha standard) plus the stainless spokes for them. Lacing up an appropriate width 18" rear wheel will be no problem.

Now all I gotta do is scrape together the cash for this one...

11. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

No problem, Fitz. Can't tell you how many times I have used info that came from you through various threads. Many of which never required a comment from me. Just read and apply what was learned. The fact that I may somehow be able to help you humbles me.

Now, on to pics:

[​IMG]

Not a good one. Crappy cell phone pic. Just one of the reasons I didn't post a pic to begin with. Sometimes a picture isn't worth 1000 words.