1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 750 Maxim fork question..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mad_Bohemian, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Ok... so I got the forks apart and back together with no problem, but I realized (after they were back on the bike :( but BEFORE I put the wheel back on.. :D ) that I have no idea where/what the 'dial setting indicator' should be aligned to. I also realized I have no idea what 'setting' the dampers were set at 8O .. so it's looks like I will have to pull the forks apart again, but I would like to know what I should look for before I'm up to my elbows in parts and oil.. :D The shocks have a "D" shaped rod that goes into the top of the damper so am I correct in thinking that the flat should correspond to the dial? Or do I have to align the flat in the damper in relation to the lower shock tube..?? there's a little nub in the triple tree @ 6 o'clock so I am thinking it's probably the latter?? I don't have the xjcd ( I know.. my bad!!) or any manuals :oops: and I would like to put these forks to bed this weekend....
    thanks guys

2. ski84

ski84 Member

You shouldn't have to take them off again, the D shaped rod will only go in one way. So to get the knob lined up try this: The knob has positions 1-2-3-4 labeled pretty close together and then a big gap from 4 back to 1. So line any number up to the knob pointer and rotate the knob clockwise and count the clicks close together. You should notice that there are 4 positions that are very close together and then a 120-140 degree rotation before it starts repeating again. The last position clockwise before the 120-140 degree dead spot is number 4. Remove the knob and line it up with the pointer at number 4. Rotate the knob CW or CCW and verify that the clicks line up with the right number. Once verified, set to whatever position you desire. I have best performance at position #3 and 13-14 psi air pressure.

3. Mad_Bohemian

I'll give that a try ski...sure would be great if I didn't have to pull 'em apart again, and what you said makes sense....so maybe I won't have to ! :D

sometimes I waaaay over-think things...lol

4. Mad_Bohemian

Boy... am I glad I posted my question here before tearing everything apart... that worked like a charm ski! Thanks!! you saved me a ton of time and frustration!! :D
    8)

5. Chris Wathen

Chris Wathen New Member

Great thread guys, this is something I have to do my self.