1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

riding boots?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jmilliken, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

OK... got a question that I can't seem to find an answer on.... are riding boots any different pin construction than a good pair of work boots? I'm very familiar with shoe construction... I sold shoes for 6 years... I can't see any obvious differences excpt the price... wondering if I overlooked something....

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

They're reinforced in critical areas, and in those areas made out of materials that won't shred to pieces if you take a slide on the blacktop -- especially the ankle. Not to say workboots aren't good protection...

I have these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... Shoes.aspx

At a point I tried actual boots similar to the ones Fitz has, and I just couldn't do it. Too big! I kept missing shifts because I couldn't tell where the shifter was or how much it was moving. Maybe that's just me. Yea, probably just me.

4. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

I just wear german army boots or if I can not get them just any army boots.

5. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I've got Joe Rocket Meteor boots that I need to replace. I need to replace them because I went down at 50+mph, and although scuffed up badly, the toe's chewed up, and there are some seams that popped, they saved my feet.

The ankle reinforcement (plastic on my boots) is key. I lowsided to the right, and I *think* toe of my right boot ended up underneath the brake or something, not sure how the left one got all scraped up.

Crash tested. :twisted:

6. Carvall

Carvall Member

Having a vinatge Bike that cost you 800 dollars and Then buying gear that cost you twice The price of your bike seems weird. When it comes to my body I rather to have the best protection. RidI would buy motorcycle boots. Motorcycle boots are not just for the road rash they are also thick in the vent of the bike falling on your feet.

I also think that psycologycly makes a difference as well. if I feel safe I ride safe.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The biggest difference for me is in the flexibility and light weight of the "riding" boots compared to work boots. My "work boots" are fine for riding the Norton with it's slow, long-throw 4-speed shifter. But they just didn't offer the quick control that the "real" riding boots do; like I said it's more like wearing a pair of tall, armored tennis shoes than "boots." I have much better control on the 6-speed Seca with my Tourmasters than I did with work boots.

8. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Dam Fitz, those are nice boot, good price too.....

I have the older JR Meteors, before they were waterproof....
    riding with wet feet simply sux.....

9. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I have a pair of older AlpineStars road boots. Check out some good, impartial reviews here.

10. XJ511

XJ511 Member

Ride in to work every day in these wombatz.
    Can't leave the house without 'em... 8O 100+ temps
    make it rrrrrreal comfortable. Work, meh... Ridin'..?
    One rugged ride in and out for sure. The crap ya' do
    to grin at least twice a day.

Attached Files: