1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb cleaning - Enrichment Circuit Well--- removable jets!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bruce_M, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Bruce_M

Bruce_M Member

I'm midway through cleaning my 1981 650G carbs (Hatachi), and was reading the tech write-up: HOW TO: Clean the Enrichment Circuit Well

I was reading Chacal's post and thought I would confirm what he wrote here:

"Finally, just for curiosity sake, I notice that the 1980 XJ650 Maxim carb bowls show, in the parts diagrams, a removable starter jet. I've never had one of these bowls, so I can't say for sure, but I have no reason to suspect that the factory lied about it!"

Seems that the 1980/1981 650 does in fact have a removable starter jet. Can't say for other years and models, but pretty easy to check with a light. Just look for a slotted head on the jet. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a Molex connector pick (blade removal kit), very narrow, but seems a bit more rigid than a regular screwdriver. It took a minimal amount of pressure to free the jet. And then about 6 turns to get it loose. Once out, cleaning the passage is really easy. However, the jet is another story. It has a tiny tiny passage and the micro-drill bit is pretty much a necessity (in a pinch you can use a very fine sewing needle). My jets were clogged solid and took quite a bit to open them back up.

It should be noted that I boiled my float bowls for about an hour in 50/50 water/vinegar. Although these screws probably would have come out without boiling (just makes it a tad easier, plus cleans your bowls).

At the same time I cleaned up the bowl drain passages and freed the screws. If they are stuck in, I usually just use a right-angled impact to rattle them out. I've tried other ways but the right-angled impact does this in seconds without stripping the screw head. Note: it's a two person job, one to hold the bowl and the other to hold the rattler firm. Very easy and no messed up screw heads... or better yet driving the screwdriver into the palm of your hand.

[​IMG]

Picture for reference (from Popular Mechanics):

[​IMG]

That's it... looking forward to easy starting!

2. altlandf

altlandf Member

I probably used 5 cans of carb cleaner trying to clean these carbs. When I sprayed the cleaner in the jet in the fuel bowl it shot 20 feet into the air. It did this on all 4 fuel bowls. I had the carbs conpletely torn apart and sprayed into every jet I could find. I sprayed down the holes in the starters (fuel enrichment ) If you look at tube that goes in the fuel bowl jet you will see small holes on the side. I am 45 years old and never seen a bike this poorly designed. My 82 XJ 650 won't start. It's been proven the YICS doesn't work. I owned a 1983 Honda Prelude that had 2 motorcycle carbs and a sub carb. That design only lasted a half a year. It's the same thing YICS is. A rich fuel mixture mixed with a lean one. I once put 2 gallons of ethanol free gas in my empty tank. I got about 22 miles from that 2 gallons of gas.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Dear sir,

It's not the bike, it's you.

Being 45 years old does not automaticaly bring with it competency in mechanics. Since you describe your failure as being applied to more than one vehicle, it is reasonable to surmise that you need to find someone to work on your machinery, so that you can attend to whatever it is that you might actually be good at doing.

4. Andyam6

Andyam6 Member

Ha, YICS works just fine... come and have a ride on my 32 year old bike, that'll learn ya

5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I apologize Bruce, I know this is not the way we do things around here and I, like many members, have refrained from encouraging altlandf's un-necessary behavior regarding his inability to get his bike running. Altlandf, I agree with k-moe and all the other members whom have tried numerous times to help you. It is apparent you want to get your bike together or you wouldn't keep posting in the manner you do. It would be hard to believe it is for attention because most of us 45 year old men don't need that. I've read through all of your post (a couple times). ALL of the answers you seek are there. If your carbs are "church of clean" together they are not the reason your bike won't start. IMO press the refresh button, start over, do all that is necessary to get your bike running. Once you do you should have a lot of 45 year old apologies to submit. Or not. Have a good day.

Roc

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

11 MPG XJ - - roughly the same as a Hummer, or loaded F350 ??

There's no way it left your driveway in a reasonable state-of-tune,
    it must have been practically unrideable & blowing smoke.

Bruce_M - - Good to know !!