1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sting on a Midnight Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chacal, Feb 8, 2014.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. jim123

jim123 Member

Is it a 650 or 750?

3. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

We, that's XS1100UK, believe it to be an XS1100 Midnight Special.
    edit: just noticed that the picture with Gwen Stefani the bike hasn't got the nose cone. Makes me wonder if Yamaha provided him with a fleet.

[​IMG]

4. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

I can't see the picture too well on my phone but I'm thinking it's a 750 because supposedly the picture is from 1983 at a promotion shoot for Yamaha. Here's an excerpt from Gwen Stefani giving a speech at The Police's induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

"were about to play the largest show they would ever play in the L.A.area, and that was at the Hollywood Park, on their Synchronicity tour. This is where the story gets good. Because my dad works for Yamaha Motorcycles, he got us backstage passes, so Yamaha was doing a special promotion for the Police, and they were shooting this poster. They had the bikes, they had the smoke machines, and we were all standing there watching them. And even as a 13-year-old kid, I was aware of the band's reputation for fighting, and that, like, Sting was a little bit scary. And all of a sudden, Sting takes off on one of the motorcycles, and my dad's like, "Hurry up, you've gotta go get his autograph, hurry!"

Here's a link if anyone wants to read the whole thing:
    https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/the- ... the-polic/

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Rear disc brake = 1100
    oversize tag and rear fender = Euro/Australia
    Does he comb his hair messy, or is it natural ??

The bike in the photo doesn't appear to have an oil cooler, so it could be a 750 ??

6. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    If you compare between the pics. You will see that the bike does indeed have an oil cooler attached, and with the rear disc = XS1100 Midinght Special.

Further evidence is the fin structure on the head. The XJ750MK has 3 progressively longer fins with the short fins on #4&5. Only the XS1100 has 1 very short, and 2 long fins with the short fins on # 4&5.

The 750MK also had a solid black crank cover with yellow lettering like the 650 Turbo. The devil is in the details.

Ghost

7. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Self-quote
    "The bike in the photo doesn't appear to have an oil cooler, so it could be a 750 ??"

I meant the bike Chacal linked, where the chunky girl is getting an autograph, (but I wasn't clear on that)

It has a solid black crank cover, and I over-exposed the shot in "Paint" and saw no oil cooler.

I'll call it a 750.

8. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Which gives more creedence to FJ111200's question about different bikes. The stefani pic may well be a 750. It even shows a hint of the guage emblem.

The sting pic is without a doubt an 1100.

Ghost