1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ideas for chassis mod

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by kelokera, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kelokera

kelokera New Member

I LOVE those old WW2 looking bikes... in fact, I'm thinking seriously on modify my XJ 750 Seca to looks like one of those IMZ-Ural bikes... but I don't know how to weld... and my budget is really low... so... one part at the time... I upload a Photoshop mockup... do you think this could work?!

ural.jpg
    WP_20140923_11_49_32_Pro.jpg

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hold on to your dream. Take a welding class. Save up to get yourself a Ural, Chang Jiang or a Dnepr. Please don't hack a good bike. If you really want to modify a bike from the 80's to look like one from the 30's get yourself a Suzuki.

3. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Well, this certainly would be cooler than yet another bobber...

4. BleedingOxide

BleedingOxide Member

Design wise, there are important lines which feature in the Ural but not your mockup.
    From the headlight, through the tank and down to the top of the shock is one continuous line which complements the other long continuous line along the bottom of the machine.
    Just like how Cafe racers like to have a long horizontal along the bottom of the tank all the way under the seat and ending in the pointy bit at the end, these lines must be preserved for the design to work.

To get these lines on your bike you'll need to extend the frame a lot (which would prolly benefit from a less steep rake/trail, get a smaller tank, run a new exhaust with long mufflers etc.
    It's a serious uphill battle, especially for a new welder who would have to make his own jig.. Surely there are other bikes with better bones for this kind of thing.
    also, our engines are soo chunky. There is a lot standing in the way of this dream.
    having said that, if you do get a new bike and start this project (mebbe bmw?) I'd love to see you succeed.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You wouldn't re-use the ally peg-bracket, but I know it was in your picture, so you left it.

Make a natural copper oil tank to house the battery and air filters, and excess electrical components.

Make a clear window for the clutch cover !

"NEW MEMBERS - your rear brakes come unglued and 7 year old tires are unsafe
    35 year old hydraulic brakes need all-new rubber parts. "

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014