1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Clutch,

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RiceBiker, Jan 11, 2015.

1. RiceBiker

RiceBiker Member

Starter clutch is still making me worry. I'd like to replace it. Just want to see, in advance, what I'm up against. Any good instructionals out there?

'82 Maxim, 650

2. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Gotta split the cases. Gunna need a service manual.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Figure 20 hours and 10,000 curse words. It isnt a particularly onerous job (anything that does not involve making new parts from scratch is not onerous), but there are a great many number of steps involved.

The short version is that you will be removing the exhaust, the oil filter, the carbs, all of the electrical connections to the engine, and the swingarm (this is optional, but it does improve clearance and access for engine removal). With the help of a friend and 10,000 curse words you will remove the engine from the frame and move it to a suitable work station (3/4 " plywood on a milk crate will do nicely). You will then remove the shift linkage, the timing over and the cover opposite, the ignition pickup and reluctor, the shift cover, the shift selector mechanism, the alternator cover, the alternator, the clutch cover, the clutch, the oil pan, the oil pump, the output flange, the middle gear retaining bolts (which are staked, and must be drilled out), and at this point you can begin to gradually loosen 38 bolts in the correct order so the cases can be split without warping or damaging the cases. Once that's done you will be able to unbolt the bearing retainer for the alternator/ starter shaft and remove it so you can get the starter out of the upper engine case. Reassembly is the reverse of removal. Get both the Haynes and the Yamaha shop manual (neither covers everything on their own), Plan on replacing the starter chain guide (and perhaps the chain) while you're in there, stock up on beer, and take your time.

For reassembly I recommend Loctite 515 be used in place of Yamabond. 515 is anaerobic, so you can take your time reassembling the cases, and any squeeze-out will mix with the engine oil and get flushed out without doing any damage (unlike Yamabond which will harden and potentially cause you to need to split the cases again).

gbett and wgul like this.
  4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Truer words have never been spoken........

5. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

sounds like it would be easier and cheaper to just get a good used replacement engine.

CN

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It isn't. Unless the used engine has already had that work done you'll just be throwing money away. It isn't a truly difficult job, just lengthy and tedious. Besides, half of the effort is getting the engine out and back in.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I have never had trouble removing an engine----

Thank God for a strong back, long arms, and long legs.

Once everything is disconnected and out of the way, i put a couple blocks and aboard to make a platform next to the bike. Then I just straddle the frame, reach down both sides and lift the engine up and shift it sideways to the platform.

Dave

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

maybe it can be done through the holes behind the alternator :D

rat builder likes this.
  9. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

This. Most of my struggles were getting the thing off and on the mounts. The rebuild itself was very straightforward, just, as mentioned; tedious. If you read a few builds around here and had an idea of what needed to happen before taking everything though, you could definitely get er done in a weekend.

10. wizard

wizard Active Member

You could always try this method ;O)
    15166555215_a2840e5b0c_n.jpg

11. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Is there a kit for that? :p

rat builder likes this.
  12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Or at least a template for cutting the hole