1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What do we carry for tool kits then?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Supernaut, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

I was wondering what the lot of you do about tools on the road?. That and if any of you have suggestions for a useful kit that either I can buy or pack together myself (probably the latter). It also has to be easily carried on an XJ, under the seat I suppose or maybe in that stupid hole in the side where the chain is supposed to go (as to my understanding).

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Start out with a small flashlight
    Combination screwdriver and an assortment of bits
    6" adjustable wrench, 8" if you can swing it
    6" pliers
    6" needle nose pliers
    Spark plug socket for motorcycles (factory kits use the screwdriver handle to insert into the head of the socket)
    Metric allen wrenches from 2 to 10 mm
    8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23mm combination wrenches
    A pocket multimeter, analog or digital, just get it small with removable test leads. Bought a nice digital unit at Harbor Freight for $7 last weekend (Part/model number B952)
    A rag to wipe up greasy hands and to wrap tools it to keep them from clattering about.
    It isn't everything I carry but a very inclusive kit.
    I've found the bike wreckers sell the kits they salvage for a reasonble price and some will even let you put the kit together from available inventory.

3. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

1. Gerber Diesel multitool with screwdriver bits
    2. LED flashlight
    3. little bitty Radio Shack multimeter
    4. Small crescent wrench
    5. uhh... What else can you fit in a 550's tiny tool box? :-D

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

cell phone

5. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Me Too.....

Some days I think I should carry a screw driver so i can just remove the lisence plate and walk away free!! :lol:

6. mainexj550

mainexj550 Member

1/2 inch impact gun,
    1/2 inch torque wrench
    2 inch extension
    6 inch extension
    6 and twelve point sockets metric
    large hammer
    larger hammer for when the large hammer isn't large enough
    breaker bar
    those 3 foot pry bars

for some reason the original tool set that came with the bike remained with the bike when I bought it. And it fits, barely, under the seat in that little tray. Its a strange tool set, and I still haven't figured out what some of the tools do. I have a set of saddle bags arriving in the mail soon so I can carry more tools. I like tools. And If you have tools with you, you don't need them so therefore the bike wont break down.

Paul Reese likes this.
  7. nammy

nammy Member

Money!

8. tonyp12

tonyp12 Member

Tylenol !

9. Gene

Gene Member

And, of course, an spare tire!

10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden Member

Here is what I carry for my BMW:

From another forum:

11. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

LOL damn it would almost seem you could build another bike from that.

Anywho, here is the solution I decided upon. A tool bag in the front forks. And what do you know it became handy in its very first day of service when my brothers license plate vibrated loose from his maxim and we had to reattach it (after finding it 1/2 km back on the road... in a construction zone). Currently I have some metric wrenches, an adjustable wrench, a multi bit screw driver, needle nose pliers with a side cutter, Chinese vice grip, some sockets for spark plugs and what not, and a bunch of zip ties.

[​IMG]

12. snakesz

snakesz Member

wat is all in a 82 xj550 tool kits

13. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    tools? where are the tools?

(apologies to the Three Stooges)...

ive never carried any tools because they wont be the ones i need and i dont want to tote all that extra stuff around with me...

would it be a drag to break down? yup of the greatest magnitude but i doubt theres much i could do on the side of the road anyway...

14. gcrick

gcrick Member

Really glad you raised the question, Supernaut. I was wondering the same thing just today.

This may sound crude but I wouldn't be surprised if also having some wire or cable ties* might not come in handy. (this is the closest I could come to suggesting 'duct tape' without being ridiculed) :)

I like the suggestion of including a multi-tool to save space, if it has the screwdriver bit sizes needed. With no rack or bags I just don't have much spare storage room.

IMHO Robert is so right about flashlight as #1. Love those tiny, powerful new multi-LED models.

Though not a classic tool, how about a small pad and pen(cil)? I sure wanted one last night to take model ID notes when riding with Ass.Fault and I saw a beater XJ I think I'll try to buy for parts.

* I don't know if it was a mistake but I was changing fuel lines today (to translucent yellow CarQuest gas tubing so I can see flow) and used nylon cable ties instead of radiator clamps on the inline filter. Figured since it's not exposed to high heat or high pressure it would work, at least until I get a 90 degree filter from Chacal. Plus I think it looks neat and trim.

15. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

I carry a CruzTools kit that I got off E-bay with a few more things thrown in it. Flashlight, ties, rag, crescent wrench, allan wrench, wd-40, etc. And a multitool. It fits nicely into the airtight container that I put where the airbox used to be. I should throw a lil cheap multimeter in there, though. I hadn't thought of that and it's a good suggestion.

As for the zip ties, they are an absolute lifesaver. I was stranded in my van once when the distributor got wet. Some WD-40, zip ties (the studs broke off) and a cheap tool kit got me going again. I carry a little tool kit in all my vehicles. A good multitool goes a long way. It's hard to say how many times before they came around that I've been somewhere trying to make a temporary repair and cursed because all I needed was a pair of pliers.

And if you believe it, that distributor cap is still held on with zip ties, going on 4 years later. :)

16. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

BARE MINIMUM-

Tire gauge. Need to make sure the pressure is spot on at least daily.
    Cell phone.

Merely necessities-

Spare fuses.
    A flashlight (I've got a little LED one on the key chan).