1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tank rust removal. No frills. Easiest. Fastest. Cheapest.

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by sethoneal7, Dec 8, 2014.

1. sethoneal7

sethoneal7 Member

IMG_20141207_204949.jpg IMG_20141207_205110.jpg IMG_20141207_222123:nopm:.jpg View attachment 14831 IMG_20141207_233054.jpg
    IMG_20141207_233044.jpg
    I searched everywhere for a solution to my rusty tank. I found chemicals. I found kits. Lots of time consuming mumbo jumbo. I finally found a better solution thanks to some guy on youtube.

You will need fishtank gravel. Its at Walmart for 3.89, WD 40, duct tape, a dryer and a tub stopper (also at Walmart) that matches the size of the gas cap so you can plug it up. Make sure its big enough to not fall in and not so small that it will come off. Or anything like this. Do not use the gas cap. The dust may block the vapor release. A vacuum.

SEE PICTURES

1.) Have the tank off, remove the petcocks.... rinse it out with water, pour some alcohol in it to dry faster. Or whatever method you prefer. Just make sure there is no gas and it is completely dry.

2.) place duct tape over where the petcock(s) mounted. Make sure it sticks really well over it, you don't want the gravel you are about to put in it to get out
    3.) pour the gravel in the tank. Plug the tank off with the tub stopper. Place the duct tape over the plug to make sure it doesn't come off.
    3.) wrap the tank in a blanket. Then place the wrapped gas tank in a trash bag to double make sure gravel doesn't get out, so as one of your taped off holes comes undone.
    4. Place the wrapped tank in you dryer. Wedge some pillows in the gaps, so it is snug and will not move of bang around.
    5. turn the dryer on fluff (no heat) for 30-80 minutes.
    6. Remove the tank. Remove the bag and blanket. Shake the gravel out into the bag. You will have trouble getting the last bit of gravel out. Take your vaccum hose and hold it to an opening on the tank and work it around until you get it out. If your vaccum has reverse. Blow the tank out. Or use an air comppessor to blow the stuff out.

Rinse it out with gas and fog it with WD40 or fill it up. But make sure its reallllly rinsed out good.

Bam. Bare metal clean tank. Fast. Cheap. Easy. No harsh chemicals. No smelly vingar. No games.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Interesting, I like it. What condition is your paint in? I ask only because even with a plug and duct tape, any of the gravel which does escape, once trapped inside a trash bag surrounding the tape, is going to eat grooves in your paint. May be worthwhile to wrap the entire tank in plastic wrap after the plug, then roll on a couple of wraps around the tank with duct tape to hole the plug and petcock covers in place. This way if a rock escapes it cant move under the plastic wrap and the paint is protected no matter what.

3. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Nice job. Works like a tumbler but on a larger scale.

sethoneal7 likes this.
  4. sethoneal7

sethoneal7 Member

That plastic wrap is a good Idea. I don't care about tje paint thats on this tank. Its coming off. Its plastidip. Not a big fan of the stuff.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you use BB's or 1/4 inch square nuts it's easy to remove them with a magnet. plus the square edge of the nuts can get farther into the corners and seams, maybe next time.

6. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I'd love to see just how well it works in the corners and seams. That's the only place I'd be worried about not working out - but then you could use rust converter afterwards I suppose. I'll probably be using this method in the coming months.

7. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

The small rocks would probably do a better job getting into the tight areas than nuts or screws (like I used in my tank). I would be more of a hassle though to remove them as they're not ferrous.

By looking at the before and after pictures I'm still impressed by how clean the inside of the tank is without any harsh chemicals or rust removal solution.

8. sethoneal7

sethoneal7 Member

It really only took me about 5 minutes of back and forth movement to get them all out. Its totally removed when you rinse it out with gas. There are some little spots in the corners, but 99% is gone. The rocks are smooth. It doesn't grind into the metal like screws do.

9. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

Makes sense: the glass would have a lower hardness than the steel, but a higher hardness than the rust. Whereas the screws would be the same hardness (or harder depending on the coatings/treatments) than the steel of the tank, hence the markings.

10. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

i'd read about this somewhere else; nice method and results!

sethoneal7 likes this.
  11. DarinAdkins

DarinAdkins Member

you did a nice job indeed

sethoneal7 likes this.
  12. connect007

connect007 New Member

Just to clarify: Use the whole bag of gravel?

13. sethoneal7

sethoneal7 Member

Yes the whole bag, I think its a 5 lb bag.

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

and not your wife's dryer

sethoneal7 likes this.
  15. sethoneal7

sethoneal7 Member

She was cool with it lol

16. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

I asked mine, she said it's a no go. I'm devising another plan having to do with straps and a trailer tire...

sethoneal7 likes this.
  17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

the EASIEST way to get rid of tank rust is to pull the tank off and put a new tank on. 5 minute job.

Dave

Franz, jmilliken and sethoneal7 like this.
  18. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Yes, but if everyone did that, we'd have no old stuff to play with! :D

sethoneal7 likes this.
  19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Trudat

20. sethoneal7

sethoneal7 Member

Yep. If everything were easy, nothing would be fun.