1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by John1991, Feb 15, 2018.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You don't have a drive chain, but you do have a chain box.
    what-is-this-empty-space-under-the-airbox.65769

2. John1991

John1991 Member

I will give all these suggestions a try as soon as I am out of work. Thank you all for the great responses and answers. I will let you know my outcome

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the 2 ring terminals (eyelets) go on the ignition coil mounting bolt that is how the wiring harness is grounded to the frame , then the frame grounded to motor with straps which completes the ground path to battery through the motor to battery wire making all your grounds connected.

terminolagy
    Box (that holds)
    4H7-21258-00-00

The
    Wheel Lock Assembly (4X7-W2171-

4W5-W2171-00-00

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. John1991

John1991 Member

So I have checked all connections and everything is clean and solid. My lcd lists everything as wrong. I grounded the two eyelets. I noticed that if I run a jump wire from the plug under the seat for the rear lights to the battery ground. I have all lights and flashers working properly. Where if the ground for this plug? Still no starter button or neutral light. If this info helps it’s all I got right now lol

5. XJ550H

neutral light could be bulb disconnected wire from neutral switch or the switch itself.
    starter button may need to be cleaned in the control , have you tried pulling in the clutch when pushing starter button? if bike thinks it is in gear (bad neutral switch wire off or broken) you will have to pull in clutch as if starting in gear.

do you have voltage at the small solinoid wires? starter switch makes connection to ground.

grounding for that plug? connector is wiring harness to the ring terminals you connected to frame at ignition coil mounting bolt holes.

did you ground motor to frame yet if not that is your problem . Frame is not ground untill it is grounded to motor by a wire or to battery terminal

where on frame did you connect the ring terminals (eyelets)

6. John1991

John1991 Member

Checked bulb in cluster it’s still good. Have tried pulling in clutch and still nothing. Can’t find a bad wire for the neutral switch. I will take apart switch tomorrow and check.

I have voltage at all the solenoid and plugs. If I unplug them the corresponding circuits cut power as far as i can tell.

I connected those two eyelet grounds to the coil mount holes. Cleaned down to bare metal and cleaned wire ends to clean metal. Good connection.

Have not grounded to frame yet. I will have to tomorrow after work and see if that help. Do i just ground it from the battery ground on the engine? Or another bolt on the motor to the frame?

Thank you for the help honestly, I do appreciate it

7. XJ550H

there are 2 bolts at rear of motor but you can use the battery to motor bolt I do think this will solve your problems. i will try to photo bolts that are used on maxim for the proper location.

to test neutral switch just connect meter on ohms to motor ground and other probe to neutral switch when in neutral it should conduct. skyblue wire can also be connected to ground to trigger starter safety switch

could be you have a bad clutch safety switch too check that as well or bypass it.

8. John1991

John1991 Member

How do you by pass these switches? Any photos would be great to I’m not just guessing where to jump wires and cut plugs.

And i will let you know my outcome of the ground tomorrow after work. Any photos of what to bypass and the ground would be fantastic. Where on frame should I ground to?

You have been a great help sir

9. XJ550H

the clutch safety switch goes into headlight bucket there is a green connector with 2 wires just put a jumper across the 2 wires. or cut the wires at the switch and twist them together. jumper wire is best way to go, the clutch safety switch may be good.
    disconnect the wire from the neutral switch and ground it with a jumper wire to the frame or negitive battery terminal light should come on . to test neutral switch connect meter to battery ground or to motor then test continuity to the neutral switch where the wire connects to it . bike in neutral then shift out of neutral and continuity should be lost.

10. XJ550H

[​IMG]
    motor ground to frame location just above chain box at corner where tci and voltage regulator is mounted this screw holds down the mount

11. John1991

John1991 Member

So I put the second ground on and it hasn’t changed anything. I’ve cleaned all my connections and everything’s good and tight. All ground are connected. I turn key on and the right signals stay lit and do not blink, the tail light/plate light are dim. Left blink works but no running lights. Any ideas? And where is neutral switch located?

12. John1991

John1991 Member

I also grounded the plug I thought was the neauteal safety. I think it might have been the clutch safety sensor. Because now my neautral light comes on and the starter button works. Still having signal and tail light issues

13. XJ550H

disconnect ground s on coil mount and do a continuity check to battery ground and all light grounds do ohms look for high resistance.

you could also test for voltage drop by hooking meter to plus side of battery and seeing what voltages you get at each ground point with all grounds hooked up.

now is your battery fully charged? this will affect tail/signal lights if it is low .

clutch safety switch is on the clutch lever 2 wires coming out from a switch which tend to come apart.
    time to test the neutral switch.

I do think you have resolved the grounding issues . does your tail light not come on or just dim?
    signals need proper voltage to flash and then there is the signal switch which may need to be cleaned and possibly a loose wire on the little board in the switch .

14. John1991

John1991 Member

The tail light and plate light are dim, I have no running lights on left side, but directional work. I have running lights on right side but no directional. The right directional indicator is lit up on dash when key is on. All bulbs work.

I might have revolved ground issue, because now neutral light is on, but I don’t need to have clutch in to start.

And I’m not sure how to do a continuity test. I’ve just been winging it lol not very good with electrical.

I will take switch apart shortly when I’m back out near bike to see how it looks inside.

15. XJ550H

continuity test is usaly a buzzer on the multi meter you can just test the resistance in the ohm settings

make sure the signal and running lights are hooked to correct wires,

right directional indicator light on with out switch being pushed to right?

16. John1991

John1991 Member

Yes Right indicator light lit without switch pushed. And all are hooked to correct wiring.