1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 Yamaha XJ550 MAXIM Starting Difficulties

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hotaction, Aug 13, 2007.

1. hotaction

hotaction New Member

Hi everyone,
    So I've been reading on other's starting woes and I guess it's a pretty common problem..
    Although the causes seem to vary quite drastically...

When I push in the starter, there's a loud clicking noise from the back right side, I think it's the alternator? perhaps the solenoid? It's near the battery, under the seat.

Battery is definitely good... Checked it recently and it's new...

I've checked my fuel delivery.. It's ok!
    I've recently been able to bump start the bike.. idled, but it died.. Cleaned out carbs, havn't tried to bump start it yet..
    checked spark plugs..
    Completely carbonated and spark plug 1 cracked...

Got some new spark plugs did a spark test, no spark...
    Went over my ignition coil seems ok!

I'm trying to get my hands on a wiring diagram to go over some more wiring without having to go thru all of it..

Anyone have any suggestions?

I ride a 1981 XJ 550 Maxim

Thanks in advance,
    Sincerely,
    Hot Action

2. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Member

3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Remove the right side battery cover and locate the start solenoid it will have two heavy gauge wires one from the battery the other to the starter. Take large screw driver and cross the two blots be prepared for some sparks. If the motor turns over you need a start selenoid. If the motor does not turnover the stater may need rebuilding.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

First question:
    What evidence do you have that the battery is good? A visual is a very poor measure of the vitality of a battery. Check it with a load tester.
    Second observation:
    Lostboy is spot on with the quick and dirty for checking the solenoid and starter motor. I would suggest that you try his advice and look into pulling the starter and solenoid just to perform some basic maintenance on them both (clean points, grease gears, etc...).
    Let us know what you find.

5. hotaction

hotaction New Member

Hey..
    So for the battery I have done the load testing, it's fine...
    I went back to my Ignition Coil because after posting I forgot what my ohm resistence was on it... I checked it out and couldn't make out any resistence..
    So I'm wondering if I need to change that coil...

I'll do the solenoid test as it's easy peasy... for the starter motor.. I really don't want to have to open that puppy up.. sounds like a I don't have the time right now kind of job...

But, about the ignition coil... am I doing something wrong? I tested primary resistence and it read 0... Tested this by connecting an Ohmeter on X1 setting to the connection terminals and it read 0-1...
    I tested secondary resistance between the primary lead thru the high tension lead and the connection terminals and it also read 0-1...

Did I miss something? I'm following my Clymer's manual as to how to do this...

Thanks for all your input so far..

Hot Action

6. simona

simona Member

If your battery is good and your solenoid is clicking - the likelihood is that your starter is the problem. I replaced the brush set on one of my 550s recently, now its as good as new. You can take the starter off the 550 by pulling the gear shift, popping the cover and then undo two bolts securing and the cablenut on top. Slide out and go over to bench and gently take apart starter. Watch out for little pin that sits in gear area and stops gear spinning, its easy to lose. Then with a meter you check resistance on copper plates (resistance is a bad thing, means that you have a coil that might have blown), and check for wear on brushes. if your brushes are worn dont buy a new starter get a brush kit (about 60 bucks) from your local dealer.

7. hotaction

hotaction New Member

Simona,
    I think I might try what you mentioned this weekend...
    After I get to the dirty solenoid check?
    hahaha
    Thanks for all the input so far guys..
    I'll keep you posted!

Hot Action

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Can we get some THUMBS on this bike?

Year - Model - Total Miles - Mods or Stock - Problem

9. hotaction

hotaction New Member

Just went thru the wiring...
    No problems..
    went to the start button.. opened it up check the wiring from there..
    (it stopped clicking all together)
    No problems there..
    Checked battery again.. Battery was dead... So it's trickle charging now.. no more trouble shooting for today..
    This weekend will try the dirty solenoid check.. then I'll do the starter motor..

fyi.. the model and year are in the thread title..

but to re-iterate.. its an 81 Maxim XJ550 kms unknown as the tripmeter and odometer don't work and are stuck on 7867... Could have turned over or could have broken a LONG time ago...

When I bought her the exhaust was a 4 into 1 i'm sure I don't have a turbo and i'm 100% sure this is an aftermarket exhaust as it's black and aluminum..

I have the stock exhaust without the pipes... (guy who sold me the bike in may gave it to me)

Hot Action

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

We put the Thumbs in the Signature section for a quick visual about the bike rather than having to go hunt.

It's just more convenient for everyone.

11. hotaction

hotaction New Member

Hey everyone,
    sorry it's been so long!
    I checked and replaced some wiring, I also changed my spark plugs.. battery is fully charged and tried starting her..
    To my surprise,
    the engine turns!
    But she won't start... The bike is too heavy and the street too flat for me to bump start her on my own and I havn't had the luxury of having anyone's help.. Don't know if I can bump start it.. But before my first post I was able to bump start it while the starter wasn't working...

Hot Action

12. hotaction

hotaction New Member

OH yeah the oil light comes on when the engine is turning

13. vinco

vinco Member

That's normal.

Now, all you need to do is clean the carbs and change the plugs, and it ought to run just fine!

14. hotaction

hotaction New Member

I just changed the plugs and cleaned the carbs vinco dint you read what I posted earlier?

15. vinco

vinco Member

OK, my bad. Sorry.

When you "cleaned out the carbs," how did you go about it? Did you get the pilot fuel system (jets, siphons, etc.) and the emulsion tubes totally clean? Did you pull the bowls off, spray everything visible, and put it back together? Give us more specific info on what you've done already.

16. hotaction

hotaction New Member

Hey guys,
    I went thru the carb cleaning as mentioned in the Clymer's manual for cleaning carburators..
    Replaced some gaskets for my float bowls... Replaced some screws that had seized and put some anti-seize.. Checked my intake boots and airbox.. looked good no cracks... Air filter is a bit dirty.. Vaccumed it up a bit cause it had what appeared to be rat shit on it... (highly improbably nest as I had been riding it every day from may till 5 weeks ago)
    And I replaced my sparkplugs..
    Now I just thought of something...
    What if i'm not getting a properly timed spark?
    Cause they are new sparkplugs! what if I'm not getting anything from my ignition coils?
    I'm going to run an ohm meter on those and check the resistence sometime this weekend...
    Otherwise.. are they expensive to replace? I know the high tension leads are ok cause they aren't cracked or show any signs of wear...

I didn't "synch" my carbs after cleaning them though.. I wasn't sure how to do that.. Could that be the source of my problems?

Removing the starter is still too big of a project for right now.. as I see it's held in with gearbox plating? I'll see if I can get some pics by the end of the weekend...

Hot Action

17. ciscobird

ciscobird Member

Its not that hard. Actually its much easier than pulling the carb off the bike.

Use a 10mm wrench to loose the bolt on the shifter (it will not come out unless u remove the bolt).

Use a 5mm hex, loose the plate (nothing will leak out and u won't ruin any gasket, all the plate does is keep the lace of ur shoe away from the spinning gear sprocket)

Loose the left foot leg so u can slide the plate off easy.

Then loose the 10mm bolt on the starter and a nut holding the cable on the top.

Slide the starter out.

The installation is the reversal.

18. Convictina

Convictina New Member

Umm.
    Is there anymore of an update?

I'm having a VERY similar problem, and have been lurking, checking this thread periodically hoping it gets running...!

My mechanic (the one I used to see...) said he replaced the starter earlier this year. Also, he welded my shifter pedal on, so I really hope he did it....

I've had this problem late last year, probably about 4 months ago, so I'm working on it myself, basically using the Clymer, 'cause I've not had the experience to know what I'm doing without checking it.

19. Iamwayno

Iamwayno Member

is there any way someone can post a couple pictures helping me find where the spark plugs are located on a 81 maxim? I'm a newbie to tinkering and i want to check them to see if they need changing.

20. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

spark plug.PNG

they go across the top of the motor you should easily see the first and second the third and forth sparkplug are on the other side. first two highlited in yellow without wires attached

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015