1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim Fuel Problem.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Thorin Flores, May 26, 2015.

1. Thorin Flores

Thorin Flores New Member

I have a 1981 Yamaha xj 650 I bought and I took the carbs of and did a normal cleaning, removed a bunch of gunk an also put new boots on courtesy of XJ4EVER. Bolted everything up and it came to life after priming the carbs, I had a bunch of gas drop out of the exhaust, I made sure it wasn't dripping from anywhere above, but the bike was running, what could cause this. I was thinking the air to fuel ratio is off or I have fouled plugs or possible a bad coil pack. What are your thoughts or questions, thanks for any info and response! Im a noob as well.

2. Joey B

Joey B Member

Did you make sure that your float heights are correct? Sounds like you flooding the engine but it could be a few different things. I would start with the float heights. If the bike is running you should check if any of your exhaust pipes are cold. Use an infrared thermometer.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sometimes when you first fill the carbs when dry they overflow it has been suggested to tap on the carbs to free the floats as you fill.
    check your oil level and oil for gas you may need to change the oil
    this advice is based on if you did a wet fuel hieght check and that it is proper