1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 XJ700 Stator Replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bikerss750, May 31, 2012.

1. bikerss750

bikerss750 New Member

Good afternoon everyone!

I have a friend I work with who needs to replace his stator in his 85 Yamaha Maxim 700. He, unfortunately for him, is not very mechanical. That is where I come in.

He informed me that he needs to replace it, as per the shop he had check it out. I did not gather a whole lot of information from him on it.

My question is, is this a big job? I have some fairly extensive knowledge with engines, mostly with older Harleys, but have rebuilt tractor engines along with other small engines. Would someone be willing to link up with me to guide me through the process? Are there any online PDF repair manuals available to download?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kenny

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

One of the simpler jobs, more or less just sits in there. I hope you have found a cheap replacement.

3. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's very simple to replace, as indicated above.

However, it's likely not the problem; they rarely fail. Alternator issues on XJs are often mis-diagnosed; and a lot of shops simply don't know their way around these bikes.

I'd start with an inspection of the alternator brushes, located in the cover.

5. bikerss750

bikerss750 New Member

I'm not sure what this link is supposed to take me to, if it is a repair manual, I am not able to access it.