1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 xj700 maxim starter button not working

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hohenstein23, Nov 27, 2014.

1. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I bought a 85 maxim with the starter button not working. I can turn it over with a screwdriver and the starter is perfect. The guy I bought it off of said he replace everything execpt the key inigition switch. So he told me that was the problem could that be the problem. All of the light work turning signal headlight tail light brake light. It also gets spark in all 4. I am just waiting for the petcock that is coming in the mail so I can get it running first so I don't swrew it up to where it won't get spark or something. Is this one specific problems or could It be many. Thanks

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Open the right control switch and see if the wiring connected to the contact plate is a good soldered connection. Also make certain all other screws are tight. Vibration makes them loose.

Gary H.

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

There have been some issues that are showing up with the key switch ..... Try turning it back just a whisker at a time and see if it makes a difference. If not, it's probably time to take the right hand control apart and service it. The contacts can get dirty, tarnished, worn, etc..... Too

Dave

4. hogfiddles

Funny......I typed the response, above, last night but apparently never hit the "post reply" button. It was sitting here ready to post this morning! LOL...

Dave F

5. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

Thanks for the replys. I tryed messing with the key and that did not work. If you mean right hand control by the control box on handle bars because I took that apart and wires and soldier joints were good.

6. rocs82650

Inspect and clean connections in headlight bucket/gauge cluster. Also try turning key to "on" position and wiggle wiring from control switch. Might be broken wires in the line.
    Everything works correctly when you turn the key. It'll start if you jump the solenoid. Does the solenoid "click" when you push the button?

Gary H.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  7. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I tryed wiggling it and had no luck with that. Yes everything correctly works when I turn the key. It does start when I jump the solenoid. Nothing clicks when I push the start button. It will click when I am jumping the solenoid and I push the start button. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike because I could not find one on the internet. Thanks for the help and ideas

8. hogfiddles

Do you have a continuity tester ? See if the wire going to the switch has power. Then see if the wire coming out of the switch has power when it's depressed. Time to start tracing.

Also, possibly you simply have a connector apart in the headlight bucket.

9. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I dont have a continuty tester but i probaly will get one. Dont have any wires apart is headlight bucket. I have a neutral light. The clutch needs a little work cause i pull it in as hard as i can and it automatically stall when i go into first so i am gonna have to adjust that. Thanks

11. Rooster53

Is the bike stalling because the clutch isn't disengaging - does it lurch forward big time? The safety (side stand) circuit will also shut the bike down if not working OK and placed in gear. You are defeating a part of the safety circuit when you start it by using a screwdriver to short across the starter solenoid relay.

Just to ask again, will the starter spin if you pull the clutch in and the side stand is up?

Does the oil light illuminate when you push the start button?

Have you verified the PO installed the correct relays (he replaced everything)? They should have a matching color dot on the relay that matches the tape color on the harness.

A continuity tester would be a good idea and would be a big help to isolate faults.

12. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

The bike stalls because the clutch is not all the way engaging and does go forward when i put it into gear.the start button does not work with clutchy pulled in and kickstand up. The oil light is always on but i think he pluged the sensor. The harness is all electrical taped up so i can see color but i can take it off if i need too. Thanks the wiring diagram it was what i was lookin for

13. ScrapYardHero

ScrapYardHero New Member

I got an 85 xj700 with the same problem. It seems to be a fairly common problem with the clutch safety. It can get almost hilarious if you bypass the safety though so, not sure if I'd advise it. There's two wires off the starter solenoid that go into a connecter. A red with white stripe and a blue with white stripe. I'll take a look when it's light out but, you can splice the safety to the solenoid and it'll just bypass the entire thing. Now, after I did this I can still crank the starter with the ignition switch off. I do have a frankenbike build 81xj650 frame 85 700 yics engine so, there's probably something I've overlooked. But, the bike will not actually start (as there is no voltage to the ignition box.) It will, however, crank if left in neutral. This switch is behind the clutch cable nearest to the handlebars. It's held together with pixie dust and some other magic I'd assume as the connecter is so flimsy I'd almost guarantee I'd break a brand new one just putting it in. The actual button is behind the lever with the spring so, you'd have to take the lever off to check the spring and contact point. Hope some of this was useful. A quick way to check this as well is to run a jumper wire from the + on the battery to the connecter while everything is still hooked up and see if it fires I'm fairly certain it's the red wire with the white stripe.

14. rocs82650

+1. Try to get hold of a tester.

Gary H.

15. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I got a tester. What specifically should I test. I started getting in it today. When I wiggle the wire in the headlight bucket the right front turn signal running light goes off and on. On the left side of the bike under the side panel I took the screws out just to open it up and get a better look at evevry thing. Nothing came unplugged or anything. But now i am not getting any spark. Are all these things correlated or do I multiple wire broke or something.

Urra likes this.
  16. Rooster53

Seem to going from bad to worse. The turn signal running light sounds like a poor connection most likely because of corrosion. Have you inspected any connectors for corrosion? Corrosion could also cause some of the other issues, so as suggested earlier pulling the connectors apart and inspecting is a good idea. If they are corroded, use some contact cleaner and a small brush to clean them the best you can. It is not a good idea to get too aggressive with them as the terminals are coated and removing any metal will just lead to more trouble with corrosion later on. If any are totally wasted, well then they will need to be replaced, which is doable but time consuming and can get pricey.

Since you started with a starter button issue here is a quick check to isolate whether the starter button / wiring is defective or if the safety circuit is deployed disabling the starter:

Starter not spinning
    1. With bike in neutral use a screwdriver and short across the two large terminals on the starter solenoid.
    2. Starter spins yes, go to step 4, no go to step 3.
    3. Repair starter or associated wiring
    4. Remove the pigtail connector to the starter solenoid, connect battery positive to red wire and battery negative to blue/white wire. Solenoid engages and starter spins, yes go to step 6, no go to step 5.
    5. Replace solenoid
    6. Reconnect starter solenoid pigtail, remove the starter cutoff relay and install a jumper across the two blue/white wires on the engine harness connector. Press the start button. Starter spins, yes, go to step 7, no go to step 8. Remove jumper
    7. If starter spun with jumper, starter cutoff relay is defective or relay is not energized because safety circuit is deployed. Verify safety circuit functioning.
    8. If starter did not spin, starter switch or wiring is defective. Check continuity of starter switch and wiring.
    Do the testing and let us know and we can provide some more details on checking the safety circuit depending on the outcome. You also might find Gamaru's DIY troubleshooting helpful on page 1 of the XJ DIY Instructions. It is for a different model, but is very similar in function.

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-test-your-starter-circuit.7828/

Urra and rocs82650 like this.
  17. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Interesting thread. I spent the afternoon/early evening doing veeery similar tests on mine. I found the culprit, hope you find yours!

18. rocs82650

Do you have a service manual? You need to test the entire starting system. Start with the battery. As you clean each connection per rooster's advice use a dab of dielectric to help prevent corrosion.

@Skwerly: glad you got it sorted. The hot wire going to the starter should be insulated including a boot to cover the bolt/nut through the case. The bolt/nut should never touch the case. Cheaper to replace the strap/boot than to replace the starter. Just saying.

Gary H.

19. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

You got that right. Now I'm going to use that starter as my Guinea pig for a first rebuild, seeing as I now have three. :D

20. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

Ok I found one problem a fuse was blown under the indicator light panel. And I replaced it and everything I turn the key it blowns it again. I took it apart and tested the continuity from the back of the fuse to the connector and its fine. Then the connector to a connector that goes to ingnition coil. Them were fine too. Then back to the voltage regulator and all them have continuity. Should I take apart all connections on bike and seen if any are corroded.