1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket Flasher relay?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 83midnightmaxim, May 26, 2014.

1. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

Hey guys I'm having a similair problem here as this guy had on the forums with the aftermarket turn signals not flashing either. I was wondering what specs I needed to get for the new flasher and if I could also just pick one up that will suffice the new signals at advance auto or Walmart or something? Thanks

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=46121.html

2. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

If you don't care about losing the auto-cancelling part of the turn signal (I never knew I had it, and wouldn't trust it anyway) then buy this flasher or one like it. You should be able to just pull out the stock one and put that in it's place. You'll also need to run a wire from the E (-) prong to the frame for grounding purposes, otherwise it won't work.

If losing the auto-cancel is a deal breaker, then check out this thread: How to convert to LED's and still have everything work. Only reasons I didn't do it was because I don't rely on the auto-cancel and I wouldn't know a SPDT relay even if it pissed on my foot.

3. RPHRIDER

RPHRIDER Member

BaldWonder,
    Do you need the adapter it comes with. I just bought this one and I could not get it to work. I am not sure I understand how to run the ground wire from the E (-)prong. If I plug it in without the adapter where does the ground wire attach to it? What color wire goes from the bike goes to the E (-) prong?

4. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Use a Bussman 552 two-prong flasher. Make sure it plugs in to the signal wires, not the self cancel wire. No other mods needed with it, but you do lose the self cancel feature.

5. BaldWonder

RPHRider, please excuse the shoddy drawing in lieu of an actual photo: I just put my tank back on today and didn't feel like wrestling with it again.

[​IMG]

In my case, I just took a random leftover wire, hooked it into the eye of the E(-) prong, and crammed it into the plug like that. Then I loosened the nut holding one of the ignition coils onto the frame, hooked the other end of the wire onto it, and tightened it back up. Honestly anywhere on the frame should make a good ground. That's what your battery's ground is connected to, anyway.

6. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

7. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Bikes that use a single indicator for the turn signal (the flashing indicator on the dash) will need to use an LED bulb in the dash (replace the stock incandescent bulb) or otherwise the flasher will not work; you should review the info in the red NOTES listed below:

TURN SIGNAL RELAY ("FLASHER") and SELF-CANCELLER:

tsrs1) OEM turn signal system FLASHER and SELF-CANCELLER RELAY. In order to design a "self-canceling" turn signal system, Yamaha chose to use a simple but very different style turn signal Flasher than what is used in almost all other vehicle applications. Of course, the unique design of this flasher unit makes it, let's say, "pricey" to say the least! However, if you want your self-canceling feature to work then you'll have to use this original flasher. NOTE: many aftermarket mechanical or solid-state flashers will not function (at all) in place of the original flasher, and even the ones that do (see below) will disable the use of the self-canceller feature from operating.

Also, if you substitute LED bulbs in your turn signals for the standard incandescent bulbs, then the stock flasher (which is mechanical) will not see enough of an electrical load to be able to flash correctly, if at all. In such a situation, the stock flasher is not defective, it is just designed to operate at a much higher voltage draw than LED lights provide, and you will need to replace the stock flasher with an aftermarket solid-state flasher. NOTE: the use of most aftermarket, solid-state flasher relays will defeat the self-canceller feature of the original system.

Identification: The FLASHER is contained in a large, rectangular black hard-plastic "box" housing, and has the following 3 wires connected to it: a solid brown wire, a brown wire with a white tracer stripe, and a yellow wire with a green tracer stripe. This applies to all models except XJ700 and XJ750-X models.

The SELF-CANCELLER UNIT is a rectangular, sealed, rubber-coated box with 6 wires coming out of it into a connector: a solid tan wire, two (2) white wires with a green tracer stripe, a yellow wire with a green tracer stripe, a yellow wire with a red tracer stripe, and a white wire with a red tracer stripe.

By the way, the self-canceller operates off both time AND distance measurements to determine when it should cancel the flashers.....a minimum of 10 seconds time and 150 meters (about 400 feet) distance. BOTH criteria must be met before the canceller releases the signal flasher.

HCP423 OEM turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550 and XJ1100 models. Comes with a mounting grommet. These units will not work with LED bulbs.
    $

HCP424 OEM turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, and all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models. Comes with a mounting grommet. These units will not work with LED bulbs.
    $

HCP425 OEM turn signal FLASHER, CANCELLER, AND RELAY MODULE UNIT. For all FJ600, XJ700, and XJ750-X models.
    $

NOTE: when using any of these aftermarket flasher units on bikes with a single dash indicator bulb for the turn signals (XJ550 Maxim, XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim, and 1983-84 XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim), it will be necessary to replace the stock incandescent dash indicator bulb with a polarized LED bulb.

HCP14788 Aftermarket solid-state turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will not work with LED bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit will not operate properly with this style flasher, and it must be replaced with the HCP16880 adapter plug below. Will require the use of the HCP11105 or HCP15149 mounting grommet.
    $

HCP16921 Aftermarket solid-state turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will work with both incandescent and LED bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit will not operate properly with this style flasher, and it must be replaced with the HCP16880 adapter plug below. Will require the use of the HCP11105 or HCP15149 mounting grommet.
    $

HCP353 Aftermarket heavy-duty, solid-state turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will work with both incandescent and LED bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit will not operate properly with this style flasher, and it must be replaced with the HCP16880 adapter plug below. Will require the use of the HCP11105 or HCP15149 mounting grommet.
    $

HCP16880 Aftermarket turn signal flasher self-canceller ADAPTER PLUG for use with replacement turn signal flasher relays. The use of solid state aftermarket turn signal flasher units will defeat the original self-canceller unit, and in order for the aftermarket flasher relays to operate properly, you must bypass the original canceller unit. This completely "plug-and-play" adapter provides the proper ground path for the relay. Each:
    $

HCP361NW Aftermarket turn signal warning WHITE LED BULB, for all 1980-81 XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, for use with any of our aftermarket turn signal flasher units above. Slightly brighter than stock incandescent bulb. Each:
    $

HCP356NW Aftermarket turn signal warning WHITE LED BULB, for all 1981-83 XJ550 Maxim, 1982-83 XJ650 Maxim, and 1983 XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, for use with any of our aftermarket turn signal flasher units above. Slightly brighter than stock incandescent bulb. Each:
    $

HCP11105 Aftermarket rubber RELAY HOLDER for original metal-lid "cube" type safety system, headlight, sidestand, fuel pump, etc. relays. This grommet has a square opening (it's a copy of the original grommet), and molded of a thick-wall rubber compound. NOTE: does not fit the later style plastic-lid cube relays. Each:
    $

HCP15149 Aftermarket rubber RELAY HOLDER for original metal rectangular "cube" type safety system, headlight, sidestand, fuel pump, etc. relays. NOTE: the original relay holders have a square opening (which matches the shape of the original square "cube" relays); these replacements have a round opening, however, they will flex and fit the original metal "rectangular" lid relays properly, but will not fit the later-style plastic-lid "cube" relays. Will also fit any round "can" style relay up to 32mm OD. Each:
    $

HCP9321 Aftermarket headlight or turn signal flasher TERMINAL CONNECTOR, black plastic molded 3-position terminal housing replaces missing or damaged original. Comes with terminals and lead wires already installed, although the lead wire colors (blue, green, and white) will not match the original lead wire colors. Fits all XJ series model flashers except for 1985-86 XJ700 and XJ750-X models.
    $

Xj.Chris likes this.
  9. RPHRIDER

RPHRIDER Member

Thanks Baldwonder! It worked great!

If anyone is dealing with this issue get the flasher Baldwonder recommended
    and watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvwqnvqijDA
    I hope it helps.

Kevin

Flasher I used ;
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSQ ... UTF8&psc=1

10. BaldWonder

Thanks for the mention, but I should confess I got the info from RobbieRobot. :) I guess one good turn deserves another?

11. BaldWonder

Update for you:
    So I only recently did this on my bike (hence it was fresh in my mind when I posted that drawing to you). Since then, I've ridden my Maxim around and noticed that the flashing remains steady overall, but has random spurts of hyperflashing. My best guess right now is that it's the ignition coil interfering with the ground. I don't know if you've been getting that too, but I'm going to try moving my ground elsewhere. I'll let you know if that fixes it for me.

12. BaldWonder

Well, I moved the ground to the horn mounting bracket, and I'm getting the same random spurts...

This makes me think that either my flasher is bad, and the engine vibrations are shorting it, or I'm getting EMF interference from having the flasher too close to the ignition coils. Not sure what I'm going to try next, but I posted about this in another thread. Maybe someone will post an idea there.

13. RPHRIDER

RPHRIDER Member

I still have my bike apart doing the valve adjustment, wet setting the carbs and painting the tank, fender, side covers, The flasher works great without the bike running. I will let you know what happens when I get it back together and start it up.

14. Davbutcher

Davbutcher New Member

Thanks! this pic help me! exacly my probleme i was wondering with my LED aftermarket raley wasn't working! thanks

15. BaldWonder

No problem! Let us know if you get the random hyperflashing that I'm getting when the bike is actually running.

16. Davbutcher

Davbutcher New Member

argh I don't know what i've do but now it don't work anymore when I try to ground my E- to the body there a shortcut and my wire come hot?

this sucks it was working 5 minute ago

17. BaldWonder

Well, I'm not getting the random spurts of hyperflashing anymore. What did I change? I changed my front turn signals from dual-intensity lights to single-intensity lights. I had put on aftermarket lights before that included a running light function. I was getting the power for the running light from the line that powered the speedo/tach dash light. In the Haynes manual electrical diagram for XJ650J Maxim, it's listed as the blue (L) wire.

I don't know WHY that would be an issue, but that's the only thing I changed this weekend. I'll report back if it ever starts up again. It's my assumption that the others using this relay setup won't ever notice the hyperflash issue assuming they're on stock lights.

18. pdxpadre

pdxpadre New Member

Hey Chacal, thanks for all the great info you contribute here!
    So if I am running non-led after market signals (they have 10W bulbs that I can't find 23-27W replacements for) will I still have to replace the incandescent bulb in the dash cluster that shows the turn signal is on? Not worried about the self cancelling issue at all.
    Thanks!

19. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No, you will ot, BUT: 10W bulbs will not generate enough power draw to allow the stock flasher unit to flash. The stock flasher relays requires a much greater current flow in order to heat up the mechanical contact arms and cause them to momentarily "bend" (or "warp" due to heat) which breaks their contact, and then immediately cool off and close the contact again.....i.e. to cause the lights to turn on/off or "flash".

20. Zakyboy

Zakyboy New Member

Would this work for an 85 maxim 700? Or is it not possible?