1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb removal made easy....well almost

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mlew, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

This is for the XJ1100 but the principal would be similar for all the XJ models. I have read about some having difficulty removing the carbs from their bikes. While it does take some finesse to wiggle the carb rack through the boots it is not necessary to remove the air box boots. This is how I do it, so far it has worked well on several XJ Yamahas and some Hondas. Like everyone says “ there is more that one way to “ this way works well for me. Total time it took me from start to finish was 15 minutes and that includes taking these pics.

Attached Files:

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

done

Attached Files:

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

After a while in the garage messing with these carbs my cat brought me a present. Wife was not too happy, I smelled like gas and then dead squirrel.

Attached Files:

4. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

That’s exactly how I remove my carbs.

Except it does not involve a sacrificed squirrel 8O :lol:

5. pirok

pirok Member

Well that looks easy on the pictures. My boots on the engine side are damn tight (stiff) its almost impossible to get the carbs off, so i unscrew the boot from the cylinder head on #1 and #4 and then its not that difficult to get the carbs off the boots in the middle.

6. Redshirt

Redshirt New Member

pirok, I did that very thing last night on my xs1100. (sirt time pulling carbs for me btw).

Good guide.

7. JameyP

JameyP Member

If only I had this guide 8 months ago when I first had to pull my carbs. Great job and Thanks!

8. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

The boots on this XJ11 are also hard, thats why I am going to replace them. It did make it a little more difficult, just a little.The hard part is geting the carbs right. I'll spend more time on them.

9. wizard

wizard Active Member

If I can't find a squirrel will a possum be OK ?

10. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

paint the airbox???

11. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I've had those in the house also Wiz, along with birds, rabbits, snakes, frogs, bugs... anything that lives outside in our area he has brought in.

12. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

Nice write up mlew!
    Just an "I'd" on the air box paint. Every one know I loth painting. A quick run against the buffer with some rouge and a soft wheel will bring some of the black back. not perfect, but of course I dont have to repaint it evertime "Salty" drips gas all over it when he takes the tank on on off either ;)

13. Erman

Erman Member

You neglected to mention that the true reason your carbs came off so easily is due to the squirrelly sacrifice to Satan (or Stan - his informal name)...

OT; Hate to say it but the principal is not entirely valid for the 750 Secas. The airbox there is pretty fixed to its position and won't budge.
    The only solution is to push the air intake boots into the airbox when taking the carbs off, and then wiggling them out with a screwdriver or similar when putting them back on.

14. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

The 750 Seca has a screw on top of the air box (just behind the gas tank) that you can remove to slide the airbox back. It moves just enough to get the carbs to slide out the left side of the bike.

15. frantic_vike

frantic_vike New Member

Just followed this pretty much step for step and got my carb bank out in about 45 minutes. Considering it took me a day and half to get the oil drain bolt out I think that's pretty good progress. Pictures were incredibly helpful.

Now to figure out why the piston in carb 3 won't move and to schedule an evening of carb cleaning. Joy.

Cheers.

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Foamy will haunt you now... squirrely wrath upon your head!
    (nice write up dude!)

17. waldo

waldo Member

Good write up Mlew! For those who have real stiff manifolds try warming them up with a hair dryer youll be surprised how easy it is to get the carbs out and back in when you warm up the rubber.

18. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out the part that that furry mammal playing in all this. I couldn't begin to count the number of carbs I've removed and this is an excellent write-up....

but...where was Rocky(the flying sq.....) while the job was being done? In the airbox? Caught living in the muffler? Pushing from the cam chain tensioner side?

LOL, hope peta doesn't see that, they will be carrying banners(produced by underpaid Chinese workers dying from noxious fumes) and marching(wearing shoes produced by slave labor) in front of your home before running to Mickey Dees(undocumented workers) for some nuggets.

jeff

19. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

My cat brought the squirrel in the house while I was working on the bike , I guess he was on the hunt in the back yard.
    I am a proud member of PETA.
    P eople
    E ating
    T asty
    A nimals

20. L.A.

L.A. New Member

I followed this to the letter,,after reading so many horror posts, I was nervous
    and trying to think of any possible way to avoid it......
    Thanks for this,,My first attempt and it went just as described,,,,
    Except,,uh,,,I didn't get no squirrel,,,yet,,,I'm patient......

THANKS!!

Mjolnir likes this.