1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Changing Shaft Drive oil 1985 XJ700

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by samtidor, Apr 5, 2006.

1. samtidor

samtidor Member

Just picked up a new (to me) 1985 XJ700. I've ordered a manual (on cd) but it looks like it wont be here for another two weeks. I would like to drain and change the shaft drive oil and I was wondering if anyone had the specs on doing so. The oil type is listed on a sticker on the shaft itself and I'm sure I can pick it up from my local independent dealer. Just curious if anyone had any suggestions/experience with this. Not sure when the last time the previous owner had it done.

2. Monster

Monster New Member

Drain it and refill till it comes out the top. I use Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil same thing I use in my auto's.

3. richard03

richard03 Member

BEWARE! Only get GL-4! If you get the newer stuff (GL-5), which seems to be all that the auto shops have, it will eat up the brass in the rear. I use redline - which is also the same stuff I put in my manual tranny for my car. It is great stuff. My local bike shop has it in stock. I didn't know that before I had my motorcycle, and I had to mail order it. By the way - it is about 8-10 dollars a bottle!

4. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Why will GL-5 eat brass? I've never heard of that before.

5. richard03

richard03 Member

The formulation is more acidic. I actually bought GL-5 for my manual tranny on my car. Turns out this transmission needs GL-4. I e-mailed castrol - who made the gl-5 - and they told me NOT to put it in the transmission. So I promptly drained it and spent another $50 on redline (which is great stuff by the way).

I believe it contains more sulfur? I may be wrong on this, but I know for a fact that GL-5 is more acidic than gl-4, and will therefore eat brass for breakfast!

6. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

I just called Mobil Oil and there GL-5 80W90 will NOT work in our bikes.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

The issue is the phosphorous content. I posted on this not two weeks ago. I've pulled apart VW transaxles that had been abused in this fashion to find the destruction of the syncro blocker rings. VW specifically informs the mechanics not to utilize anything but the GL-4 rating on the older transmissions. Sta-Lubed was the brand I used to find most often, but it is getting harder to find. The Redline is great save the expense. Ouch! Yamaha has it's house brand hypoid oil for the beast, give them a shot. So does Bel-Ray.

8. samtidor

samtidor Member

Thanks for all the responses. Picked up the gear oil at my LBS and following the recommendations from the owner's manual took care of it the other day.

9. xj750tjr

xj750tjr New Member

I just bougt an 85 XJ750XN Maxim-X and changed all the oils. I cheked the owners manul for details and for the Final Gear oil page 4-4 recomends SAE 80 API GL-4 gear oil but top of next page 4-5 there is a NOTE "GL-4 is a quality and additive rating. GL-5 or GL-6 rated hypoid gear oils may also be used." So if that is in the book, is every body sure that GL-5 is no good, as I have just used this, although I have just drained it out again since joining this forum.

10. samtidor

samtidor Member

My LBS - an independent shop and the owner - a former Yamaha mechanic recommends synthetic GL-5 for my 1985 XJ700 Maxim. He swears by the stuff.

11. Monster

Monster New Member

I have a 2003 yamaha Kodiak 400 atv with shaft drive. My owners manual says the same thing GL4 SAE 80. Note GL5 or GL6 may be used. I have Mobile One in it.

12. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

13. xj750tjr

xj750tjr New Member

The XJ750 takes .2 Ltr of gear oil in shaft drive.

14. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

How much gear oil does XJ700X need? Can't find it anywhere and I have both workshop manual and usual service manual. It states SAE80 API GL-4 hypoid oil

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Put gear oil into the fill hole until it almost begins to pour out, then put the fill plug back in.