1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Chirping sound

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Sonny573, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Sonny573

Sonny573 Member

There is a chirping sound Coming from the right side of the carbs or manifold... I can't find it...

1982 maxim 650

Please help

Thanks

2. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Cracked vacuum rubber plug on carb #4, maybe? Or maybe vacuum line running from carb#3 to petcock is cracked or not fitted properly to his port?

EDIT: You could use an unlit propane torch to source a vacuum leak: start your engine, open the torch and point it directly at different locations around your carbs (maybe 1 inch away) where the chirp seems to come from , as soon as the engine sucks propane it will rev up then you will know where is the leak.

3. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

It is definitely carb/intake related right? Not affected by pulling the clutch or anything? (just the other day a member fixed a chirping "squirrel" noise from the clutch caused by worn out plates)

Provided it IS the carbs etc, try what quebecois said. you can also use a squirt of WD40 or similar the same way ;)

4. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

While at a stop or while driving (under load). At what rpm, around 3000?

If you hear a chirp sound, at 3000 rpm while under load, that's normal, and it's misnamed the Yamaha "Middle Gear Whine." It's actually caused by gear lash around the clutch basket (I believe).

Anyway, if it's not that, be more detailed in your description of when it happens and how you've tried to look for it.

5. Sonny573

Sonny573 Member

It's chirps when the engine is idle and when riding. I'm gonna. He m the vacuum hose I did clean the carbs and replaced all hoses with new ones. It does seem like its coming from the third or forth carb.

I took the carbs off and tightened everything, didnt work. It almost sounds like its coming from The spark plug area. it's so wierd and annoying. I will try the vacuum hose first.

Them will try the propane technique. Could someone please sxploan this technique a little more?

Thanks

6. 750E-II_29Rbloke

If you could narrow down exactly where it's coming from it'd help a lot, you can take a piece of tubing & put one end to your ear then use the other end stethoscope-style to pinpoint the sound.

If it is coming from a plug it could just be loose or have a bad/dirty sealing washer, but whatever it is you'll be able to hear with the tube method where you should be looking more closely :)

7. Foolber

Foolber Member

yea i once had a squirrel in my bike also...he was also storing his nuts in my air box :)

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

middle gear whine thread

You could soak a towel in water (folded) and use it to block the sound to help locate the source.

9. quebecois59

Well there is not too much more to be explained. Propane is highly flammable, if you have a vacuum leak, propane will be sucked in the engine through that hole and will burn in your engine and will make your engine rev higher because it burns better than gasoline. If you point the torch at carb #1 and nothing changes then try #2 and so on. Of course, don't lit the propane torch, you don't need a flame outside the carbs!

10. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Exhaust manifold leak? Exhaust header nuts tight?

11. ryanrules

ryanrules Member

Check that your spark plugs are seated properly, and snug. My 550 NGK plugs have compression washers, ensure if yours have washers that they are all the same. Next, I'd take a short socket and short extension and make sure none of the head bolts are loose. It only takes a loose head once to forever remember that birds nest sound.

12. ryanrules

ryanrules Member

Check that your spark plugs are seated properly, and snug. My 550 NGK plugs have compression washers, ensure if yours have washers that they are all the same. Next, I'd take a short socket and short extension and make sure none of the head bolts are loose. It only takes a loose head once to forever remember that birds nest sound.

13. Sonny573

Sonny573 Member

SUCCESS!! Thank you everyone! Fixed, no more annoying chirping sound. It sounds so amazing! It's the little things that will drive you crazy. For all I know no else could even hear it, but I could!

Adrian, you where right, kind of. After narrowing the sound coming from the forth carb the narrowed it down to the manifold boot. I had replaced the gaskets so earlier I was convinced it wasn't that. After removing that boot I had seen that there was a piece of left over old gasket under the new one. Thought to myself this is a long shot. Sure enough!!! Put everything back together, after cursing multible times, and no chirp!!! It is glorious! I have never detached and reattached carbs so many times! I am a pro at attaching that god for saken throttle cable!

Thanks again! Without XJBikes I'd be lost!

Sonny

14. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Cool :D

Glad it wasn't a squirrel playing with his nuts (umm, I mean storing his nuts) in the airbox :? :lol:

15. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Congrats ! Now you need to sync the carbs and move on to plug-chops for fine-tuning.

16. quebecois59

Good for you!