1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CNYCC#6 results

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by hogfiddles, Jun 9, 2013.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Well, despite the rain that, of course, made it's presence known.................... We had a decent day.

Unfortunately a lot of the people who were going to come, didn't, but the rest here had a good and successful day.

John and jamie arrived mid afternoon Friday and set up their camp, I got home shortly after. So we all got everything else ready.

Saturday opened with gray skies but the rain had stopped. Around 8am Steve, from XJBikes, showed up with his 650 maxim. He had previously done a shim swap back during the winter ( he had driven out to pick up the shims and while he was here, we had a "how to ride a snowmobile" clinic.....his comment then......'this much fun ought to be illegal') I digress.........so new shims in place, his carbs got synced and then colortuned. He took off for a short spin, and was all grins when he returned.

( Hey, you want to see what a bike looks like with 4 colortunes on all 4 cylinders at once?!?!?!.............ask John, he took a pic)

About 9am or so, others started arriving......Adam L. on his 650 maxim. He also did a shim job awhile back, so now it was time to sync and colortune.

A little mist was in the air, but it was short-lived and that was all we got. The sun even tried to poke out a couple times.

Shortly after that, Mike from XJBIkes drove in with his son, to see what goes on at a Carb Clinic, and learn more about the xj's and the xj community. He also wanted to show his son that xj-ers are 'real, down to earth friendly people'. I think we accomplished all of that.

Ross S. also from xjbikes showed up on his 750 Seca, and ALSO had previously done a shim swap. So, we synced and colortuned his, as well.

Around 11am or so, Mike K...........hey--another XJOG-er!!!!! arrived from Canada, and got his starter solenoid replaced. I think he was really happy to be able to finally start his bike without a screwdriver or a bumpstart.

Noon, of course, was the time to break out the food. So, ther burgers, dogs, and sausages went on the grill. Everyone had a great time 'shooting the breeze' and I think we solved the world's problems, too. All they have to do now is ask us.................LOL

After lunch, we started wrapping things up, Steve had to go leave for other family obligations. Mike and his son then headed out, but are promising to ride in next year.
    Once things were picked up and packed up, there were some door prizes that had been donated from local businesses:

Everyone received a kickstand plate from Progressive Insurance. Ross received a cleaning kit from AutoZone, Mike Kampman received a gift card from AutoZone, John received a gift card from Advance Auto Parts, and Adam also received a gift card from Advance Auto Parts.

Now we got everything saddled up for a ride...........RAIN moved in-----of course------

So, we waited it out, once it passed, we re- saddled up---John and Jamie on John's bike, Ross on his, Adam on his, my son Colton rode with Mike K, and my wife rode with me. We stopped for gas........got a little damp on the way up. Then went through everything from real rain, to dry roads.......got wet and close to dry by the time we got home----- and put on about a 20 mi ride.

So..........after we got back everyone headed home. John stayed for a bit to help clean up some stuff, break camp, eat supper and head to NJ, arriving there about 2:30am this morning.

Now, John and I figured out the whole rain thing..................

Rain seems to be a feature of the CNYCC, and what we realized is that rain is a GOOD thing. ESPECIALLY for the Carb Clinc. You come to this clinic, and we'll test your electrical system. If you can make a ride through the weekend, you know your system is in pretty good shape. Iol

Well, I think that about sums it up. I'm sure John and Mike will add more as time permits.

Dave Fox, Host
    CNYCC#6
    CNYCC#7 - date tbd

2. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Glad I could finally make it to the CNYCC. Bike runs nice and smooth, only problem now is keeping it at a relatively legal speed :) It was great meeting and talking to everyone there.

Oh and for those of you that have drooled over pics of Dave's 900, it is even better in person.

3. Ross1

Ross1 Member

What a great time, for one and all! It was fun to OOH and AAH the award winning 900.
    Many thanks to Dave and his family for being such great hosts.
    My 750 is running more smoothly than ever (at least in the three years I've owned that one.)
    Based on Dave's advice, I got home and pulled the starter. Took it and the one from my part's 750 apart. Sure enough, the brushes were markedly shorter on the one with starting problems. Put the longer pair back in the 750 I ride. Not 100%, but better. I'll be sending an order to XJ4ever soon. Maybe I won't have to swap engines, after all.
    Nice meeting everyone. Rode home in mist and fog, it starting pouring just as I put the cover on. Perfect timing.
    Dave, thanks again.

4. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

+1 on that. Going back to the snowmobile comment Dave made, I have to say a well tuned XJ is right up there with the same fun factor. Like Dave said I had to leave early, which I wish I didn't have to do, but While I was there what an awesome time. Have to say that I can't wait for next year's carb clinic, and I hope that next year I don't have to rush home to try and hide my bike from my mother (which didn't work, she got there before I did.) and hopefully the weather will be a little nicer next year so I don't get home dripping :?

And John, we definately need to have the picture of the 4 colortunes put up 8O

Thanks again Dave! It is great to know that there are people on this forum that are willing to help out so much to the community of XJ'ers.

5. hogfiddles

I learned a looooong time ago......no one is ever able to hide stuff from mom.
    Dave

6. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed it!

7. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

Well the fun part was that I got home and was expecting the yelling and crazy mother, nope. She wanted to go for a ride, but it was raining so we didn't...

8. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

cool mom.

9. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

10. hogfiddles

we always do, rain or shine.... LOL

11. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I met friends last weekend, we attended the big boxing event in Montreal, our local challenger knocked out the US champ Chad Dawson at the very first round, it was sort of crazy in the building! We had a great time too, in a different way!

12. KA1J

KA1J Member

I missed it, made it last year & I'm really sorry I wasn't able to find the available time to make it in 2013. Dave'as burgers are better than Bundy Burgers and what a great bunch of people to share with. Also most fun to see all the XJs in one place andf to hear all the knowledge being offered in a way to teach, not simply inform. You come away from a CC with much more than you went in with.

How cool is that!

Gary

&... I really missed seeing the friends I met last year! too many to mention but there were a surprising # of folks from Canada and do they have fun! Oh ya.

13. lanker

lanker Member

The whole way home my son and I continued to talk about some ideas he had for his bike (XJ550). He was very inspired by the nice bikes that everyone had in tow. He really liked the trim work that John had done. He was able to sit on a few different bikes to get a good idea of the seat design he wants to end up with (there is a custom one on his now from the PO). We both truly appreciated and enjoyed the overall friendliness and willingness to share that everyone displayed. Dave was a wonderful host! Thanks to some guidance I will also be tearing back into my XS650 guages (for the third time but this time I am destined to succeed).

My son can't wait to return next year to show off his bike! We had a great time!

Oh, and the Seca 900... yeah... piece of shit. If I were Dave I would get rid of it. Seeing how you were such a gracious host I figured the least I could do would be to come tow the hunk of junk out of there for ya. I mean, its the least I could do :)

14. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

Lanker, I didn't realize you were up here in Cicero! Heck if you ever have any questions about anything I work right here across from Home Depot! I can PM you contact info if you want! Great meeting you and your son there. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

15. lanker

lanker Member

Which Home Depot? The one on US 11 by Wegmans? Either way, GREAT to have new friends so close by! If you ever need a hand with the wrenches give a call.

Schweeet!

16. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

Yup, you got it!

17. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Sorry that I missed too. Bad timing as my bike's been apart for it's second round of reconditioning. Looking forward to planning ahead for next years, and maybe I can add a bit of my tuning and tweaking experience to help all in need that attend.

Tony

18. moellear

moellear Member

Glad to hear it was still productive despite the rainy conditions.

I wish I could've made it up there Dave. Maybe next year I suppose. Rather than riding to NY I managed to have my father haul the bike (my 550) along with us as we traveled to TN in the Smoky Mountains. Wow what a blast it is riding in the mountains. So much cooler than riding typical flat land western Ohio. I don't mind riding on the interstate but the speed limit signs are posted 70 mph in KY & TN. I was hesitant to ride at that speed for hours upon hours, and my parents were concerned if traffic got heavy. So I rode once we got to our cabin & wow some of those backroads can really be tense! It was a blast

19. hogfiddles

Gladd you had a good and safe time.

Yeah, ride thisdirection next June!

Dave F

20. nycxj750

nycxj750 Member

Damn. I missed this. I think I joined right around the same time and didn't see the post announcing it. Will definitely go to the next one.