1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Drive Shaft Removal and Servicing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TFerguson, Jul 21, 2014.

1. TFerguson

TFerguson New Member

I have searched the forum (and google) but can't seem to find much on the recommended method, tools, etc. for removing the drive shaft for my '80 XJ650 Maxim. The Haynes manual just says "take it to a shop", more or less, but I'd prefer to give it a go myself if it's not too big of a bear to wrestle.

The reason for wanting it removed is that there appears to be a leak, which I'm supposing is a seal that needs replacing.

Anyone got any recommendations? I've seen posts where others have removed these, just haven't seen how they've done it.

Attached Files:

2. peganit2

peganit2 Member

It looks scarier than it is.

It's a cross between a FWD halfshaft, a rear drives driveshaft, and an old torque tube.

It's easy.

3. TFerguson

TFerguson New Member

Thanks. All right then, I'll give it a shot. Looks like I'll need to add a slide hammer to my tool collection. :)

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Here it is:

At the front of the swingarm, move the u-joint boot forward or back so that you can see the c-clip at the front of the drive shaft (inside the U-joint) and remove the clip.

see those those four nuts on the front of the silver rear hub? Remove them.

Pull the silver rear hub away from the black swing arm. Now the driveshaft will be sticking out of the hub.

grab the driveshaft and pull it out of the hub.

Done.

Any questions?

dave

5. TFerguson

TFerguson New Member

Thanks Dave. So the driveshaft just pulls out? According to Mr. Haynes, it requires the use of a slide hammer.

6. TFerguson

TFerguson New Member

D-oh! Sorry, Dave, I missed the part about removing the clip. I think I've got it now. Thanks again!

7. XJoe

XJoe Member

So I am new to my XJ 650 and I am at the point where I am trying to remove my engine from its frame. I am almost there. I need help removing my drive shaft from the tranny so I can pull it all out. I need to remove the bolts from the U joint ..right? can'st seem to get them loose.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

their really tight, best to use a six point box end wrench and a board through the frame and wheel. don't slip and round the bolt. the good news is, once they bust loose, they spin right out

9. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

I had to replace the u-joint on my 700 a couple of months ago. I used a 6 point box end with a 12 inch piece of pipe slid over it. A good hard yank worked better than steady pressure. I used the wrench and pipe with steady pressure and Lock-Tite to re-install them since there's no way to get a torque wrench in there. After a couple hundred miles, I rechecked them.

10. XJoe

XJoe Member

I finally did get them after soaking them for a couple hours and a quick pull in 1st gear and wrench on an opposite nut... came loose!!