1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

driveshaft clearance on '83 xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jwilks217, Aug 24, 2014.

1. jwilks217

jwilks217 New Member

I have just bought a 1983 xj650 to start a bobber project! I noticed that there was hardly any space between the tire and the driveshaft, maybe 1/16 of an inch and I was wondering if that was how much was suppose to be there or not! It has a stock size tire on it and I was hoping to be able to put a wider tire on the rear, but if this is the case that is not going to be possible unless I convert it to a chain drive! Does anybody know what the spacing between the tire and shaft are suppose to be?

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

130 series is the biggest tire you'll be able to put on it unless you shave some material off the drive shaft tunnel. 1/16's is the normal space between the tire and swingarm on the left side.
    You can remove the tunnel if your going the hard tail route. If you do, I recommend has a safety ring in place.
    Can't convert to chain drive unless you possess a great deal of skill and fully loaded machine shop or the money to pay someone to do it. That would cost more than the bike is worth. The only chain drive XJ's were the 550 and 600 Seca II, neither of those motors will fit in your frame without serious mods that would also include changing out the swingarm. The 600 motor's cylinders lean forward more than the 550/650/700/750/900/1100 motors. So your stuck with shaft drive or get another bike to chop.

3. jwilks217

jwilks217 New Member

Thank you for the input! This is my first project and I'm not very familiar with shaft driven bikes, and I am very I treated to see how all of it works! I will be posting pictures and what not as my project proceeds!

4. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Before you get started. Do you know that the motor and tranny are good? And remember that when lowering the rear, you don't really want to go further than 2 inches so that the universal joint won't kink on you.
    Brakes are a big safety concern. Replace all the old brake lines and rebuild the MC if needed. The rear brake shoes are known to have pad separation issues that can have dangerous results while riding.
    So make sure everything is in top shape, it's only 31 years old. 8)