1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

firing order for 82 maxim xj550?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chaos15, Jan 19, 2007.

1. chaos15

chaos15 New Member

Re: dirty plugs....

I recently purchased a 82 xj550 maxim and think the wires were tinkerd with. Can u tell me the firing order?

2. chaos15

chaos15 New Member

Re: questions about an fleabay find

can anyone tell me the firing order for a 82 maxim xj550

3. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Re: dirty plugs....

chaos15, don't cross post, don't hijack the posts and don't post duplicates. If you can't find the answer then start a proper new thread. Please follow these site rules http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=203.html

Moving your question to a new thread... Thank you.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hey there bud, I am not versed with the 550's so I can't say for sure. The 650/750 are set up to fire off on 1 and 4, then 2 and 3. Assuming your 550 runs on similar ignition engineering, you should be good if you line up tdc and get a spark on 1 and 4. Rotate the engine over once and 2 and 3 should fire. Best I can do with what I have. Hopefully one of our 550 whizes will provide the requested data. Welcome to the forums and do mind the local patrolman, looks like you met him already.

5. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

Re: questions about an fleabay find

The ignition fires the outer two and the inner two cylinders each as a pair, so it's 1&4, 2&3, 1&4, 2&3 to fire all four cylinders (720 degrees of crank rotation), with an ignition event every 180 degrees.

One coil supplies spark to the inner pair, the other to the outer pair.

Most bike four cylinder ignitions work this way, with only two coils supplying spark to the 4 cylinders. There's a waste spark on the exhaust stroke, so you can't be 360 degrees off.

As long as each coil is going to either the inner or the outer pair of cylinders, there can only be two possible ways to connect them.