1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

:-) FOR SALE : '81 XJ650 Maxim (custom) :-)

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Platkeyboy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Platkeyboy

Platkeyboy Member

1981 Yamaha XJ650 ( Midnight Maxim )

Clean PA title and runs great. $1500

Many parts of this bike have been redone over the past year. It sat in storage (in pieces) for years, after the original owner rebuilt the engine. Unfortunately, he passed away, and all I had to go by were a few receipts that came with the engine (piston rings, gaskets, etc). I bought it, and here is what has been done since:

-Purchased a rebuilt rack of carbs (which still ended up needing many new parts—seals, jets, etc)

-Removed stock airbox and installed pod filters

-Replaced rusted stock exhaust with a Kerker 4-into-1 (sounds great, in my opinion)

-Replaced worn out stock front master cylinder with one from a newer superbike

-Replaced stock Maxim tank with one from a Seca 750 (larger and arguably more stylish)

-Replaced the stock “buckhorn” handlebar with a “Daytona” style bar

-Replaced stock turn signals with smaller (still bright) aftermarket ones (custom mounting tabs for front set)

-Shortened frame in the rear, removed stock fender brace, chopped rear fender, and mounted to new custom brace

-Replaced stock tail light with one from Lowbrow Customs

-Replaced the missing stock mirrors with a bar end piece from Commando Specialties

-Repainted tank, side covers, front and rear fenders

-Custom-made seat with nice quality vinyl

-Installed minor, but necessary items, such as a new battery, headlight, spark plugs, grips, crankcase breather filter, etc.

Everything on the bike works—high and low beam, horn, signals, tail/brake light, gauges and idiot lights. It runs great, handles well, and needs nothing, but could also be a good platform for even more customization to “make it your own.” I would love to keep the bike and enjoy “the fruits of my labor,” but I have school loans coming due, and money will be tight. As is often the case, the bike is the first to go. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

Re: FOR SALE: '81 XJ650 Maxim (custom)

Wow this is a steal!