1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

hardtail xj750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by a_wright06, Apr 15, 2010.

1. a_wright06

a_wright06 New Member

getting ready to hard tail my 82 xj750 tuesday
    what all do i need to take off before i start welding?
    hopefully next week ill get some progress pictures up

-Andrew-

2. munkiep

munkiep Member

3. a_wright06

a_wright06 New Member

so i got delayed with working on my bike :( have it all stripped down and almost ready to start the welding but have a few more questions

on the side of the swingarm with the drive shaft what is the best/easiest way to connect the new frame rail to that side. i cant seem to find any good pictures in any other forums either :S i figured the other side will be easy ill just weld it right to the swingarm :D

the other question is... i read through a build where a guy welded the swingarm into place at its pivots. i think i am also going to to that to make sure everything stays put. what you guys think?

thankyou for any input

-andrew-

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I wouldn't weld the Pivots unless you are buying a One-way Ticket.
    Having a Hard Tail arrangement that you can:

Adjust
    Tune ... or,
    Return to Shocks ... seems like a good way to go.

You are going to need something on the rear that L@@KS better than a two chunks of Ree-bar welded-on to make the Ass-end
    Un-sprung.

There is a wide variety of Double-Adjustable Control Arms oiut there ... I just happened to have this stuff handy because we've been working on Suspensions for Mustang and Camaro lately.

https://www.sevendeals.com/p-4487-g2-al ... -ends.aspx

5. a_wright06

a_wright06 New Member

yeah maybe not welding the pivots is a good idea lol

i have all the tubing i need and everything was hoping to get started tomorrow..

was thinking about cutting the bottom hole off the shock and welding it to my tubing to connect it to the driveshaft side of the bike? hmmmmmm my head hurts from all this thinkin 8O

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I suggest first just making a set of solid struts to replace the shocks, and take it for a ride to see if you really want to go with a hard tail ride or not. I did this and found it wasn't the answer for me at all. Too dam rough. I didn't like the ride at all and probably wouldn't be doing much riding or going very far with a hard tail. (to each his own)
    Good luck!