1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

help me adjust my rear shock 81 Maxim 650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dcdoc4u, Jul 19, 2010.

1. dcdoc4u

dcdoc4u New Member

Someone tell me how to adjust the shock on the 650 Maxim.
    I have just purchased this beast and am wondering how to reconcile my 247pounds with the present setting. Yes.............we have bottomed out a couple of times...........so if you members have some direction for me, please dont hesitate to send it out here. Next week I can buy insurance and register the black beauty for the road...............and I am hopeful some one has the relevant information for adjusting this.
    Thanks Chris

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Shoot a little Brake Fluid or Fork Oil in the Preload to lube it.

Take a Tool with the Diameter that fits the Adjustment Fitting and apply pressure to advance the preload to another level of firmness.

To make a tool.
    Grind the end off a round shaft screwdriver that fits the adjustment cylinder.
    Hear the screwdriver end and bend a 3/4 Inch Right Angle to the end. Quench in Oil to harden the tool.

The tool you made will swivel in the Adjuster to allow the movement of the tool without hitting a silencer.

(The Tool Kits Screwdriver also works but will scratch a muffler if not careful)

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The stock shock absorbers have a ring at the bottom of the spring with a little notched "ramp" on it. You turn the ring so that it either compresses the spring more or less, in your case you would want it to compress the spring more.

Unfortunately, it's not obvious how they want you to turn the ring.

ON the ring is a little circular "boss." You stick the end of an appropriately sized rod in it, and using said rod as a handle, turn the preload ring.

I believe they originally intended you use the handle for the plug wrench that came in the tool kit. Anything that fits the little round boss snugly and is long enough to work as a handle will do.

Aftermarket shocks generally have square notches at the top edge of the preload ring, and require a hook-shaped spanner to adjust.

4. a1981cowboy

a1981cowboy New Member

My question is... What are the numbered dials on top of thé rear shocks and on top of thé front fork? Is it for setting travel or responce or something? And if so how do i know what thé "right" setting is for me?

5. a1981cowboy

a1981cowboy New Member

My question is... What are the numbered dials on top of thé rear shocks and on top of thé front fork? Is it for setting travel or responce or something? And if so how do i know what thé "right" setting is for me?

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Those are "rebound damping" adjustments. Lower numbers=less damping, IIRC.

Experiment. Start with them in "the middle" and then try stiffer/softer settings and see how they work for you.

7. a1981cowboy

a1981cowboy New Member

I had a feeling it was something along those lines but figured better to ask the experts than to fiddle with the unknown. Thanks again for the quick and knowledgeable response.

8. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Rick wrote:

"Hear the screwdriver end and bend a 3/4 Inch Right Angle to the end."

You should pick the right screwdriver, the one that says: "Please, bend me! Bend me!"

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Make a Tool for the Rear Shocks.
    Keep it on the Bike.

Sacrifice a Std. Phillips Screwdriver .
    Cut to length: 5-Inches.
    Dremel Wafer Cut-off Tool.

Prepare Vice to set quickly.
    Heat Tool end preparing to add a Bend at End.
    Bend end to 90-Degrees. 5/8ths. Inch.
    Peen Angle Intersection slightly Flat.
    Re-heat Tool end.
    Quench Tool in Beer Can of Motor Oil.

Optional: Before Bending - Chuck in Drill. Sculpt Handle with Sandpapers.

Tool fits Barrel-type Rear Shock Preload Adjuster.
    Swings alleviating Rear Silencer Interference selecting Pos.-4 on Rear Springs.

Having Adjustable Front Fork Preload Options is a very nice feature.
    A Spark Plug Gap Tool or a Craftsman Key Chain mini-piece will turn the Adjuster.
    Keep the Preloads lubed with Marvel or Light Oil.

10. a1981cowboy

a1981cowboy New Member

For that adjustment I just used an old punch I had that fit well. I had no need to bend anything but I also have 4 to 1 exhaust... Can honestly say I have never personally seen one of these bikes with factory pipes. Not really sure how that affects things