1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I need a key for a Radian/YX600

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by scott-s, Apr 22, 2013.

1. scott-s

scott-s Member

Picked up the '87 non-runner today. Complete bike with title for $225!

The owner misplaced the key (one reason she stopped riding is because she's having memory problems) and is looking for it.
    In the meantime, I'd like to charge the battery and see if I can at least here it turn over.
    I don't see a number on the key slot or any latches. Where do I look to find a code to get a replacement key?

I see complete locksets on ebay for a good price, but how can I get the tank open to replace the cap/lock?

2. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I believe the number is on the underside of the ignition barrel if you remove it, usually is on most bikes I've had to look on...

If you do have to change the lockset I think the only way maybe to force the gas cap lock with a sturdy screwdriver with spanner flats for leverage. I've yet to find a way to remove one keyless that didn't involve forcing the lock (or someone ruining the paint trying to lever the cap open)

Hopefully someone else has a less violent idea?

3. scott-s

scott-s Member

It looks like I have to take the headlight off to continue getting access to the ignition assembly, but I can see some numbers back there...something like "E58062"? There's also a 3 digit number to the right of that, looking from the front of the bike.

4. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Cool, keep plugging you may be able to get a key after all :)

5. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

You should be able to find the key code on the bottom of the ignition switch.
    I will take a bit of work taking a few things off to be able to view it.

The code starts with a letter and that is the key blank style you will need.
    Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
    Get two key blanks from Chacal at xj4ever.com (click on the catalog link at the upper right hand corner of this, or any page).

Then unbolt the switch and bring it, and the key blanks, to a quality locksmith that's in your area. Have them make a key that will work your ignition switch (and hope that the previous owner didn't change any of the other locks on the bike) and it should work on the rest of the locks.

After you get a new battery installed, and before you go cranking it over, you should check the crankcase for gas. Sometimes the fuel tank petcock or float valves in the carbs leak. You need to make sure by removing the oil fill cap and checking for the smell of gas vapors. Even if it seems OK, I would strongly consider doing an oil change anyway, just for good measure.

6. xHondaHack

I'm a little slow here (wanted to post a picture for you). I see you have your key code. It starts with "E". A locksmith may be able to use the other numbers for reference (if they have any old guides to use).

BTW, nice find for $225.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

One quick note. Before getting key blanks, call the locksmith that you plan on going to to see if he has the blanks in stock. Some businesses are put off when you show up wanting work done on something that they already have.

8. xHondaHack

That's understandable, but you won't be getting blanks with a Yamaha logo, just some generic brand. In my book, the locksmith will be getting paid on their labor to make the key, not on the markup of the key blank. Your choice.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The locksmith I use has genuine Yamaha key blanks, which would make all the difference in the decision making.

10. scott-s

scott-s Member

Yep....I can see the numbers, just can't make them out clearly yet. I'll keep working on it.

11. scott-s

scott-s Member

Got what I needed, but damn near had to disassemble the bike to get to it!

[​IMG]

Now, I wonder if I can find a local locksmith that can help me out?

12. 750E-II_29Rbloke

They made it that way deliberately else people could just van a stolen bike to the locksmith, read off the key number, buy a key & ride into the sunset on your P&J :wink:

Any decent locksmith will be able to cut the key, just need to make sure you get the Yamaha "E" pattern blank and you're golden :D

13. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

If you can't find a local place you can try this website:

http://www.key-men.com

I ordered a couple and they may not be the cheapest but the most convenient for sure.

Once you get one key make sure that you go to a local locksmith and get a couple of copies just in case.

Good luck.

14. scott-s

scott-s Member

Talked to a guy this morning that says he can do it. Trying to get up with him this afternoon. He said bring the tank and ignition and he can make me what I need.