So i'm WAY too excited about this thing to keep quiet until it's done. what started out as an 82 XJ750 Maxim is turning into an 82 XJ750 "Custom". here's a little background on the project... I obtained the bike in 2004 with 23k miles on it. was free to me but didn't run. we had pulled it out of the woods and saw that it hadn't been registered since 88. i brought it to my friends basement shop (flyingmachineworks.com) and we went to town. This was my frist bike and i didn't know what i was doing, but at least i was doing it. The bike fired up one beautiful summer day (could have been a hurricane and it still would have been beautiful to me) and i rode it for the first time with no seat and a 20oz sprite bottle as my gas tank. i "finished" it ans rode it for the rest of that summer and the next. the bike was then sold in 2006 to a friend of mine who didn't take care of it at all. he ended up owing me a substancial amount of money in 2007 so i took the bike back as partial payment. the rear tire was COMPLETELY bald and the tank... well, it seems he had a little fun with a hammer... about this point in the story is where my picture diary begins (clicky). I've got a bunch of pictures of this long painful process dated and in chronological order up there. What began as a small project to replace some gaskets and seals soon turned into an all out customization project. engine was removed and completely torn down to ship off to powder coating. frame and a bunch of brackets and hardware were also sent for powder in february. got the case halves back in may and assembled the low end right away. got the frame and misc. pieces back a month later and quickly began assembly on the chassis. new rubber, steering head bearings, swingarm bearings, etc. I started looking at my ugly square gauges and decided they just would not do. i picked up a set of round gauges from an 82 650 and thought they looked good, but could be better. so after converting them to work on my 750, i began some photoshop work to customize the look. after a few 8 hour days working on them, i'm very pleased with the look. i just got the rest of my parts back from powder coating on tuesday and the painful process of late nights and trying to still be productive at work the next day began immediately. I've got a week from today to have this beast on the road and it's not going to be easy. I will try to update both my picture page (FlyingMachineWorks) and this post daily to keep you all up to date. I welcome all comments, critisizm, suggestions, complaints, or input you all may have on my "little" project.