1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Jumps out of First gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chitty, May 19, 2007.

1. Chitty

Chitty Member

Hello all!

I just got a free Seca 750 and I'm starting to get it into riding shape and one problem that I just ran into is that it jumps out of first gear.
    So far, I have changed the plugs and oil and that is it. The rest of the gears work fine. It will stay in first until I gas it a bit and then it jumps to neutral?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

The tranny's on these bikes are one of the weak spots. While it is more common to lose 2nd. gear this is still a characteristic early 80's Yamaha transmission problem. Even the V-Max and Ventures has this. Only way to fix is to remove engine and diassemble. Then check free end play on the gear shaft and maybe under cut the gear dogs.
    Some others here may have some better info for you. So wait for their input. Congratulations on the free bike. I would still say it is well worth owning. I loved my Seca and still want another one to go with my current Maxim. I know some who have lost 2nd gear only to shift past it and ride their bikes for years like that. They just love them too much to let that stop the fun.

3. munkee

munkee New Member

Yeah, I have the same problem with my 82 maxim. The previous owner said he just kept his foot on it until he was ready to shift, but I just use first to get moving then shift into second. Every now and then it will jump out before I'm ready , usually in the middle of an intersection, and make it look like I don't know how to shift.

4. Chitty

Chitty Member

So it sounds like I should let the local shop take a look at it to see what it would take to fix it. Since I'll work on the simpler things on it but I'm guessing that I would get over my head quick with this.
    It's just weird because when I can get it to stay in first gear it works great. It's fine when I gas it to get moving but as soon as I back off the throttle a little it drops to neutral.

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

Well, letting the local shop do it is an option but you run the risk of getting the lowest paid mech doing the job. I would only let someone else touch my machine if I were confident in their abilities. Do you know the folks at the shop? Do they run a smart outfit? How clean is the maintenance bay? You should ask for a tour of the facilities to gauge how serious they are about what they do.
    I'm all for pulling and doing the job yourself but this is dependent upon your skill level and willingness to dig in. Since you seem a little hesitent, it is probably wisest to leave it to the shop.
    If you can change your oil and know how to split a bearing off a shaft, I expect you would have all the skill going into it that you would need. Knowledge is only a book away and we (collectively) are at your service to help you through the rough parts.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

With this bike having a somewhat unusual -- "Jumping-out of First Gear ... rather than Second Gear ... I think it would be worth the time to take-off the Shift Cover and see how the Claws and the Stop Arm on the Gear Change Mechanism are looking.

I would at least give FactoryPro a call and tell them what you got.
    800.869-0497

Ask if this Shift-Kit will do anything about you losing first:
    http://www.factorypro.com/

7. Chitty

Chitty Member

Well, I do a lot better with computers than I do with mechanics. I do have a friend that is a car mechanic that I can get to take a look at it since I would prefer to do the work myself.

8. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Here is a link to a article that explains how to fix it. I have done this on my XJ1100 and it works, the trans shifts better than new. Your trans is the same design this one and the same techniques will apply.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.ph ... eadid=5090

The XS1100 website has many helpfull articles

Mark
    XJ1100
    XJ750
    XS1100

9. geebake

geebake Member

That's an amazing article. I had no idea you could get to the tranny with the engine in the motor. I would never have guessed it was possible. Is that the case with all XJs?

Greg

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

Bloomin' brilliant! I'm gonna petition this link be added to our sticky file!

11. Chitty

Chitty Member

Ok...I'm in deep doo-doo now! I talked to my buddy and he's all gung-ho on tearing it down and playing! Guess I'm going to learn about this bike faster than I had planned! :lol:

12. RickCoMatic

If you go after the gears like this fine article shows:

How long does this fix hold-up before actually needing to overhaul the trans and install new gears? And, why not just replace the gears if the damage is really bad; anyway???

I wish the author had included some close-up's of the Shifting Forks and how they move the Gears when the transmission is shifted.

Additionally, if you are diving-in to fix your bike from jumping out of gear ... and you're bike is in the "High mileage" group (50K+) ... check the clearances on the business-end of the oil pump.

13. Chitty

Chitty Member

I tend to agree with you on that...I was wondering what it would cost me for new gears since it would be out anyway.
    My bike has about 37k on it.

14. geebake

geebake Member

I would venture that your gears are probably fine. In my (meager) experience, these kinds of problems are almost always shift fork related.

Greg

15. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Now I have something to study for the next few days. I had no idea the tranny parts could be removed without splitting the cases. Great info and thanks for it!

16. RickCoMatic

I'm with Greg ...

If you have 1st Gear popping-out ... and, you can "Hold-it-in-gear" by keeping pressure on the change lever ...

Classic bent fork.

The fork gets bent because the clutch isn't adjusted and the PO took his frustrations out on the shift lever.

You have a fork that got bet and can't move the gear over far enough for it to fully engage and stay in place.
    Pushing it in place by holding-down the lever worked for awhile ... but, eventually, the inside of the fork is worn-away by metal to metal contact.

The fork being the softer of the two metals wears away to such extent that the "Throw" to push the gear along the change shaft is so far off -- due to the bend and the subsequent abrasion ...

The gear only moves as far as the damaged fork can move it. Not nearly enough to fully engage ...

pretty soon ...

First gear disappears all together and you have to start holding-it up in second.

17. Chitty

Chitty Member

So since I haven't bought a manual yet...how hard is that to get to? I would assume it's easier than replacing the gears?

18. RickCoMatic

Oh, yea ...

Getting a manual is a cinch.
    Flipping the pages is easy and you don't need any tools.

Doing the stuff outlined on the pages ...
    Cancel that Tee-time.
    It's time to play "Wrenches"

It can be ugly for a few hours. Then, the mission is accomplished and you're back getting sunburned on your way to no place specific ... just riding and looking at all the sights.

If Peru wasn't two-days distant. I'd be right over to help-out on this one; just to hang-out and watch and see how it goes.

19. geebake

geebake Member

If the method outlined in that page works, then it might not be too bad. Pulling the motor and splitting the cases is a job I wouldn't wish on many.

I have a Seca turbo motor sitting in a thousand pieces on my workbench because I decided to try this. Someday, I hope to have it back together!

Greg

20. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

SUNBURNED? I don't want skin cancer, so I'm glad to have my SPF infinity helmet and leather jacket ;)