1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

lowering my 80' xj650 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by AutoAndy7, Apr 14, 2011.

1. AutoAndy7

AutoAndy7 New Member

hello all!

as i am currently underway making my maxim into the vision in my head, i recently have been thinking about lowering the bike, front and rear. Is it as easy as bolting on new eye to eye shocks? and what about the front?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, everyone on this site has been super cool and very helpful to me in my conquest. Thanks again everybody!

andy 8)

2. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Hey Andy,

I dropped the rear end of my '82 650 a few months ago. That being said, it is that easy! I scored some 10.5"(eye to eye) shocks off what I believe was a an old Yamaha Radian. The new shocks are 2 inches shorter than stock. They dropped the rear end a little over 2". It doesn't sound like a big difference but it deff changes the stance/look of the bike and leaves plenty of clearance in the wheel well. Looks and feels great!

As for the front, it all depends on how much you drop the back. I planned to drop the front as well but after I did the back there was no need too. After dropping the rear, I was left with 4.5" to 5" of ground clearance. Its plenty to ride on but I have certainly seen bigger speed bumps so I didn't want to risk it.

Anyway, all you have to do to drop the front is loosen the triple trees and push the fork tubes through. You should be able to get about an inch of play there.

3. AutoAndy7

AutoAndy7 New Member

Awesome bro!

Thank god it's really that easy! much appreciated Albert!

now as far as finding shocks, any will work as long as they're eye to eye, metric and shorter than original correct?

I'm a newbie so much obliged! 8)

4. BillB

BillB Active Member

5. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Yes, essentially, that is correct. I would be cautious of going any shorter than 10.5" Like I said, it left me with roughly 4.5" of ground clearance. That is, with me NOT on the bike. Although, the shocks I found are stiffer than stock, the bike of course will sag a little more under a rider's weight.

DavidNC likes this.
  6. DrPainsaw

DrPainsaw Member

if you go too low you will also need to shorten your side stand.

7. interstatejoe

interstatejoe Member

I just put 10.5" harley shocks on my 82 xj650 and the kickstand holds it upright...but just a little too upright than I think I'm comfortable with.

8. silverdollar

silverdollar Member

What are the stock size of the rear shocks on a 1983 Maxim 650? I am also in the process of lowering my as well and thinking about 9.5" in the rear?

9. skillet

skillet Active Member

I got a REALLY nice set of Suzuki Savage (10 1/2"). Honda Rebel are the same. Have read the Rebel's are all or nothing. REALLY stiff or "nothing". IMHO 9 1/2" would be a bit much :wink: ...

skillet

10. silverdollar

silverdollar Member

Thanks that helps me out for looking for rear shock for my xj 650. I will keep looking on CL and fleabay for some honda shocks as well.

Thanks skillet