1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim 650 dies after attempting to put into gear.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by gunnershank, Nov 29, 2009.

1. gunnershank

gunnershank New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum and very frustrated, looking for some good advice.

I just bought a 650XJ that is in dire need of restoration. It has 14,900 miles on it and has seen the ocean breeze for about a year without a cover. I took the carbs off and cleaned the heck out of them, replaced the battery and oil and bam! started within one minute.

Now, for the tricky part. I took the clutch apart and cleaned it because I thought that it was stuck all together. After replacing it the bike still stalls after being warm and trying to put it into gear. I tried running with it so I had some momentum and it still stalls. Please help. It has a little bit of drag when pushing it in first gear with the clutch depressed and gets easier with higher gears.

2. Strick

Strick Member

I am no where near an expert but it sounds like when you put the clutch bach in you have adjusted too loose on the inside. Try to adjust your cable first then if that does not work you need to go back into the clutch it self.

3. gunnershank

gunnershank New Member

I adjusted the clutch in every shape of form on the outside, I have it pretty tight right now ensuring that it is depressed all the way with each pull of the lever.

How would I adjust the clutch on the inside? The five bolts that hold the plates have to be in all the way, right?

4. c21aakevin

c21aakevin Member

I'm not sure if this is the problem or not, but I was replacing the clutch on an old dirt bike, and I didn't line up the clutch parts. It locked the clutch. It acted like what you are describing. On this clutch, there was 2 arrows, one on the inner, and another on the cover (pressure plate). I was not aware that clutches needed to be assembled in this fassion because I have always worked on the Yamaha dirt bikes, which are semetrical, and this was a kawy.

After checking the clutch cable - On the stand, engine off, put the engine in gear, and have someone hold the clutch in while you try and spin the tire. If you can't, I would get a manual, and go through the clutch. Check all the fiber thicknesses while you are in tthere.

Hope this helps.

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If by stalls you mean it shuts off like you'd hit the kill switch the the problem is likely with your side stand switch. It's designed to shut the bike off if you put it in gear without first raising the stand.

On your bike you can TEMPORARILY disable the circuit by removing the side stand relay. The side stand relay attaches to the wire harness above the carburetor holders right in the center of the frame.

6. gunnershank

gunnershank New Member

C21aakevin,

That is what I did, in first gear on the stand or on the ground it rolls but has a little bit of drag to it. Could it be a sensor or something, I notices a little sensor on the right side that looks like a weight sensor of some type with two wires and a spring.

7. gunnershank

gunnershank New Member

MiCarl,

Thanks for the advice, that is what I was just looking at in the garage. The sensor does not even touch the kickstand because the kickstand part is bent. The bike did sit on the kickstand for over a year by the ocean. I will look into it and let you guys know. Thanks

8. gunnershank

gunnershank New Member

Oh, yeah I forgot,

By stalling I mean it jumps forward kind of like popping the clutch with out giving it some gas.

The clutch does look like is worn out , has very little firber left. Could this be the problem, I always thought it would just slip.

9. parts

parts Member

+1 for micarl

if the post on the side stand switch is not releasing ( being pushed
    out of the housing by the internal spring), then the bike will
    automaticaly "stall"and or not start.
    you also have switch in the clutch handle that also affects the
    starter circuit.

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Reach-in and "Pluck" the Clutch Cable at where it connects to the Throw-out Lever.
    If the Cable it loose ... The Clutch needs adjustment.
    If the Cable is tight (like a Guitar String) you may have Warped or Scored Steel Plates in the Clutch.

11. gunnershank

gunnershank New Member

I see a clutch replacement in the near future! Thanks for all the help guys.