1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Minimum Wiring diagram help

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by kabduke, Oct 21, 2009.

1. kabduke

kabduke New Member

Can anyone help me with the xj minimum wiring diagram? I'm stuck on a couple of spots. Here's some pics to help explain where I have questions.
    [​IMG]

2. kabduke

kabduke New Member

Here is a pic of my bobber mod

[​IMG]

3. kabduke

kabduke New Member

Here is another pic showing where I'm at with this wiring project. If anyone has done this before, can you tell me if it worked out using this diagram? its a little confusing with the brown and red wires coming out of the rectifire regulator looping around through the lights. Is it right? [​IMG]

4. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

the starter relay only gets a heavy red on both poles, one from the starter and the other from the battery. then it should have a blue and white wire that leads to a start button that needs to be grounded. The brown wire is the hot or feed wire to the fuse panel and you can tap whatever off of that.

5. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

To answer your first question, the connections are made to the small (gold) terminals. They are the control circuit for the relay. The silver are the power or high amperage side to provide voltage to the starter.

The second question regarding the brown and red wires from the rectifier is basically as you stated. Having said that, I can see some points where confusion may be generated. I have to ask if this is a factory schematic as it seems to feed the fuse panel only when the lights are turned on? There are some circuits that just don't make sense. The brown wire feeding the brake light and also going through the fuse to feed the brake light when the headlight is on.

I have posted my schematics for an 81 550 at

http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae227/Not_Mother/

it may help.

6. kabduke

kabduke New Member

Thanks, stewart that helps with the starter relay and with the additional schematics.
    I got this schematic off of this board hoping to reduce the harness and also pull all of the wires off the bars. A couple of guys on the post said it worked great. It worked but I'm trying to make a lighting circuit with it and as you can see it changes the wire color in the loop making it hard to read. Also like you said the fuse issue.

-I'm assuming the switch is a on off for the system, such as a lock out key switch. any one agree?

-With brown wire feeding brake (clearance) light my father in law said its a constant power use for the acg to work. it that right?

-If you look close at the RW wire coming from the ignition it has a connection point from the lighting loop. Which gets its power from both brown and red loop, is that okay?

7. kabduke

kabduke New Member

Thanks, to you copple as well. That helps tons. Do you know if its okay to have the red wire loop back to the brown like in the diagram?

8. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

I misread the key switch as the headlight switch, sorry but I had interuptions while I was looking at this. It should work as drawn. The system will feed the rectifier and the brake light switch when the key is on. This is the signal to indicate when the battery is charged and then the alt output is reduced. I first thout that the voltage was coming from the rectifier.

Only wires that have a dot at the junction are actually connected. I think that the red and brown wires that you are referencing is just one line crossing the other without a connection. If the red and brown wire are connected it would by-pass the key switch and keep everything on all the time.

9. Lou627

Lou627 Member

I used this diagram and it worked. The only difference is that I used a on/off swtich instead of the key switch, so I just hooked the taillight up to a lead.

10. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

that is how I did it as well

11. kabduke

kabduke New Member

Thanks guys. You're comments give me the confidence that I need to move forward. You guys kill it!