1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Neutral Switch Replacement Procedure

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by yanktanks, Jul 25, 2015.

1. yanktanks

yanktanks New Member

Greeting All,

I'm looking for the replacement procedure for 1981 XJ650 neutral switch replacement. My Haynes manual is nondescript and vague. Any help from someone with first hand experience would be greatly appreciated (photo's wouldn't hurt too; I know I'm asking for a lot).

A little back ground on problem; neutral light began to intermittently NOT work and of course it also would not crank over. Measured resistance to ground with gear box was in neutral and I have over 500 M ohms circuit opens when in gear. Engine grounds all tested less than 1 ohm to ground. I want to inspect switch for possible source of excessive resistance.

Thanks in advance.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I doubt the switch is the problem. It is a simple plunger switch that grounds the circuit when the bike is in neutral. An intermittant problem is more likely a broken or loose wire. You will find the wee beasty tucked behind the left frame rail, just about where the shifter drum is. If you hae a Maxim you will be able to get to it wothout dropping the exhaust. If you have a Seca you will have to remove the exhaust collector. If you find that the sky-blue wire that goes to the neutral switch is intact and has continuity you can either run seafoam in the crankcase to help clean out any sludge buildup around the neutral switch, or (this is not reccomended) ground the sky-blue wire in order to bypass the neutral switch (again, this is not reccomended other than for testing purposes or to limp home).

Other things to check.

A loose bulb being the problem with the neutral light going out intermittently.
    A sticky sidestand switch preventing the bike from being able to be started.
    Both of those things can occur at the same time as each issue will be present when going over a bump in the road.

3. yanktanks

yanktanks New Member

I located and inspected the neutral switch's eyelet terminal and it checked good . Boy, that switch would be tough to change with the exhaust in place . I'll give the seafoam a try. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

4. yanktanks

yanktanks New Member

Follow Up:

I added 3 ounces of seafoam to the crankcase and ran the engine for approximately 10 minutes. About 5 minutes into the run time, I started shifting through the gears. After several shift cycles the neutral light began working again. I retested the neutral safety switch (resistance to ground) and found that it is now less than .5 ohms. Thanks again for your help.

k-moe and Rooster53 like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yay!! That PO guy never changes his oil when he's supposed to.