1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil level window....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mikegustus, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

Ok, I have read some of the posts on this forum and I still don't feel like I know what I am looking for.

Right now with my motorcycle totally level, when I look at the window, at first I didn't see anything, the window just appeard to be kind of dark brown and I thought the window was dirty.

I try leaning the bike to one side or the other and there is no change in the window.

Then I start the bike and I look at the window and I can see that what I thought was dirt/grime or just the window was actually oil, filling the entire window and now with the engine running, the oil only is up to about 1/2 way on the window (while running)

Is there too much oil in there? The bike seems to be running fine once it has warmed up.

From what I understand I should be able to see a little gap at the top of the oil window, right? Should I just keep riding until the level goes down?

2. markie

markie Member

Most bikes should be on the centrestand with the engine off. Mine is an xj600. I don't know which model you ride, but with the oil pump running there might be quite a lot of oil "In the system" being pumped round. Perhaps if you specify which model you have , another owner can advise better.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I'd say there's too much of "Something" in there.

Normally, ... (Depending how you ride) ... you Fill the Sump to "Just above the Top Line" in the Oil Sight Window.
    The Oil Level leaves a little of the Baffle to see shining through.

Others will Fill the Sump until there is a Bubble about the size of a B-B left at the Top.
    They watch that B-B grow as the Bike uses a little Oil and Top-up as necessary.

Usually, there's NO Oil visible in the Glass when running.
    Even for those who are generous with Oil.

Put the Bike level on the Center Stand and loosen the Drain Plug over a Drain Pan.
    Let some Oil drip-out until you can see a Bubble at the Top of the Glass.
    Tighten back up.

I doubt you are that much over.
    But, its better to be safe than sorry.

4. Broke_Dirty_Maxim

Broke_Dirty_Maxim Member

You have too much oil in your bike. Actually, let me clarify. You have too much liquid in your bike, and I wouldn't count on riding it and just burning it off. You probably suffer from leaky carburetors and they allow gas to flood the engine. The gas in the oil changes the lubricating properties of the oil.

I recommend you have a mechanic fix the carbs, drain the oil completely and put the proper amount of fresh oil in the engine. There should be high and low level lines near the sight glass that tell you where your oil level should be. I have never seen a bike that used a sight gage that didn't have the lines.

5. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

Sorry, its a Maxim XJ650

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Member

side question: What if I don't have any lines on my oil level window?

7. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

I dont have lines on my oil window either.
    I actually just changed the oil in my bike and found myself wondering this same thing. I ended up over filling cause when I started to run her i saw the oil in the window disapear. So i was like, This cant be right. But shut her off and the oil filled back up in the window after a bit.
    So after you change the oil and oil filter, run her down the street and back, put her on the centerstand, wait an hour or so, come back, look at the window and see if you have a little bubble at the very top. Add or subtract as needed. Gotta fill up that oil filter after its been changed so you'll probably have to top it off.
    -Chris

8. Broke_Dirty_Maxim

Broke_Dirty_Maxim Member

The oil lines are almost never on the window. Nobody ever said they were. The lines are usually on the engine case where the window is located. Sometimes, they are kind of vague looking and other times they seem to blend in with the casting lines of the case. But I have never seen a bike that didn't have lines as long as the window is the primary method of checking the oil.