1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

problems with my xs 850 ignition`fixed`

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by tjdude, May 24, 2008.

1. tjdude

tjdude Member

I just got a XS 850 today out of a barn where it has been sitting for 17 years. I cleaned the carbs and prepped it to start and I am getting no spark to the spark plugs. I checked the voltage at the coils (there are 3?)I am only getting .5V to each coil. This cannot be correct. What could be causing this?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Re: problems with my xs 850 ignition PLEASE HELP~!

What year bike?

You have to tell us the Year, Model, Miles, and such or all we know is that you have a tree in your yard and you want to know if its and apple tree or not!

Does the bike have Electronic Ignition or is it Points plugs and condenser?

Use the signature function

19?? XSnonXJ850 Total Miles Stock or Mod'ed Ignition Trouble

3. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Check/replace Fuses & panel. I had one a few years ago that looked good but all the fuses were bad and had no spark. Check the stop/run switch to make sure it's working properly. Check the coil wires as there may be a compression fitting holding it onto the coil which may not have the wire seated properly. Check the Cap as there is a resistor in it and sometimes it will get corroded so bad it won't pass the spark. A simple resistance test on all the wires and caps will tell you if there is a problem.

4. tjdude

tjdude Member

yeah just got it today so haven't updated my sig yet. ANYWAYS sorry, its a 80 850 somewhere around 5k miles, bone stock.

I was wondering really.... are the coils always going to have 12 volts running to them. because all 3 were only getting around half a volt of voltage apeace. I really think this is my problem.

Ive already checked the on-off switch on the handlebars and the key turns on the headlight and so fourth so I would assume it isn't in there. It does still have the stock fuse box(I do plan to upgrade asap) that Ive checked and it is all working just fine so I don't think its any of that stuff.

Also now that Ive been thinking would that year model have a kickstand switch?

5. tjdude

tjdude Member

Where is this resistor? where and how can I do a resistance test on the wire and caps? what reading should I get? how can I test my coils?

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You can take a spare Spark Plug and plug it into each of the Plug Caps ... ground the Plug and look for spark when Bike is cranked.

Be sure that the Battery is fully charged.

I wouldn't trust the Fuse Panel on that Bike as far as you could hit it with a 3-Iron!

7. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Resistor is in the cap. If you look into the plug cap you'll see a slotted screw. If you unscrew it pay attention to how things come out so you can get them back in correctly. You wont have voltage on the coils all the time.

I take it you dont have a manual... Manual

One more thing, you have to have a battery in it or hooked up to it for it to run...

8. tjdude

tjdude Member

Oh, I see what you are saying now. I have a new set of plug caps I could try off of my XJ 650. Im about 99% sure there is nothing getting to any of the caps however. I did install my good battery out of my XJ as well.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE LINK!

I tried to see spark on the plug that way. I also tried sticking a screwdriver in the plug cap to see if I could feel anything as far as a shock and there was NOTHING at all :?

I do know not to trust the fuse panel, but being Sunday I cannot get any new parts tomorrow. I did use a good voltage tester on the stock fuse block and everything is checking out fine. ie.(I am getting 12v on both sides of all the fuses)

keep the ideas coming guys I really appreciate the help.

9. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Just do a resistance test on the wires and coils. The specs for resistance on these items are in the manual. That way you'll know what, if anything has a problem

I'd also check all the connector plugs on the Ignition module up under the seat as well. When there, you can check the pickup coil resistance.

Here is another site dedicated to nothing but Yamaha Triples, 750 & 850:
    Yamaha-Triples.org

10. tjdude

tjdude Member

I got it to work today. The main 12v power going to the TCI was not getting a good connection. runs great now. now just to get a title and an inspection sticker.

thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.