1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replacing a vavle cover gasket soon, what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sbeaudette, Aug 10, 2014.

1. sbeaudette

sbeaudette New Member

Hello everyone! And thank you to all in advance who are reading this.

I have a 1982 Maxim XJ650 that needs a new valve cover gasket (old one is leaking and dried up)

After searching these forums to see what I am getting myself into, I found myself with more questions than answers, so please bear with me and any help on answering these four question would be GREATLY appreciated. Here we go;

First of all, many recommended that since I have the top off, I might as well change the "donuts" and "CAM-END" plugs.

My first question would be this:

1) How many donuts and cam-end plugs do I need to replace in total? (This is so I know how many to order) for a XJ650 1982 Yamaha Maxim

Second question:

2) Are all the "donuts" identical? I mean I have seen a picture from “bigfitz52” on this forum of two different size of “donuts” for a XJ750

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq93 ... donuts.jpg

And I was wondering if my XJ650 needed two types as well or it’s just the screws that can vary in size and the donuts are all the same part number?

Third question:

3) When we say "donut" Is this what is referred? Is this the part I need for my XJ650?

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xj650/?filters[fitting]=custom

Cylinder Head Mounting Rubber
    #01-0161 | Yamaha XJ650 (1982-1984)
    Cylinder Head Mounting Rubber OEM Ref#4U8-1112G-00

Fourth Question:

Same thing like #3, is the Cam Shaft plug featured here the one I need for my XJ650? Even though it says 1980-1981 and my XJ650 is a 1982, would this camshaft plug fit anyway?:

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xj650/?filters[fitting]=custom

Camshaft Plug
    #01-0152 | Yamaha XJ650 (1980-1981)
    Camshaft Plug OEM Ref#1J7-11138-00, 2G2-11138-00

thank you all in advance for any help given!

Cheers
    Seb

2. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

I'm afraid not familiar with the 650, so here's my suggestion. Send an e-mail/PM or click the xj4ever banner in the upper right and chat with member Chacal(Len). He'll tell you exactly what you need. You'll get the right parts and the world's best service. He IS the Grand Poobah of XJs.

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Re: Replacing a vavle cover gasket soon, what do I need to k

A total of 12 donuts, which are 4 for the inner bolts and 8 for the outer bolts. For your engine no separate cam-end plugs are needed, since those plugs are molded into the valve cover gasket itself.

No, the inners and the outer donuts are physically different from each other and do not interchange.

You need both types/sizes.

Yes, but those are the outer position donuts (you'll need 8 of those). The inner positions donuts do not appear to be listed on their website.

See prior answer, these cam-end plugs are NOT needed on your bike because they are already included, molded into, integral with the valvecover gasket itself.

Also, all of my responses assume that your XJ650 Maxim is indeed a 1982 model (should say YICS on the valvecover) and does indeed use the molded valvecover gasket.

If you want drop me a PM or an e-mail, we do have all of the proper items that you need in stock.

4. BigT

BigT Active Member

You should check your valve clearance while you have your valve cover off if you haven't already.

jayrodoh likes this.
  5. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Sbeaudette,
    Welcome aboard, questions are encouraged.
    There are a lot of wise and very helpful people here, do as they say and your bike will be reliable and safe.

However there is only one place to get the right parts for your bike.
    Chacal, is the guy you want. Reach out to him via e-mail/ pm and he WILL take care of you. Do NOT try to save a couple bucks going somewhere else, I tried once and the head aches that ensued just weren't worth it. Chacal has the BEST customer service for XJ parts.

With that said, plan on being meticulous with you work, don't rush. Pictures can help others provide the best advice. My 81 does not have the 'doughnuts' , when I replaced my gasket (after checking Valve Clearances) it was necessary to make sure that the mating surfaces were clean prior to installing the new gasket. This required carefully scrapping off 30+ year old gasket without getting any inside of the engine.

Prior to installation I used a thin bead of gasket sealer on the cover side only and a thin smear of oil on the engine rib where the gasket fits. This allows ease of removal for the next time(s) that required valve clearances are checked.

Good luck, plan on spending some money to make you bike safe. Ask questions and listen and you will be rewarded greatly.

6. sbeaudette

sbeaudette New Member

WOW! what a great forum! I will be sure to make a donation to help with the site costs, this place is home to some fantastic people!

@Chacal! thank you! I will send you a PM for some parts shortly, with you, I never felt in better hands!

@BigT: I sure will, thank you for the tip!

@Stumplifter: Thank you, everything you said was gold, I will do exactly as you mentioned for all your suggestions!

thanks again everyone!

woooo!

Seb

------------------
    82 XJ650 68k miles

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

While you have the cover off, check the corners where the two half moons are ( on your bike they are part of the gasket).... Those corners are a very defined edge and can be sharp enough to cut into the gasket. Just dress them enough to remove any burr...

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Let's don't forget the most important thing.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You mean brake delamination? Lol

10. sbeaudette

sbeaudette New Member

Both front and rear brakes have been replaced, along with a much needed oil change, new spark plugs, new air filter, oil filter. So far so good, it runs very well, I don't know why, but this thing is so much more fun to ride than my royal star venture.

Is there a guide in this forum on how to accomplish a proper Valve clearance test on a 82 XJ 650 ? (what to look for)

thank you all!!!

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Re: Replacing a vavle cover gasket soon, what do I need to k

Boy are you in luck!:

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html

12. Krautrageous

Krautrageous New Member

Thanks for all the words of wisdom Stumplifter.
    I just pulled my valve cover off, cleaned both mating surfaces and...
    I have NO IDEA how to replace donuts on these bolts. Looks like the seals themselves would break if I forced them.
    Is this something I can do myself with a bench vice & some garage tools?
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Kieffer
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  13. dmlyster

dmlyster Member

Just make sure valve cover securing that you do not over tighten. I had a real good torque wrench and still stripped threads. It seems to take even less ft/lbs than listed. My technique (after first screw-up) was once the bolt stops, a light two finger tap. Mine sealed just fine this way and way better that Helix to repair.

Just my two cents.

14. Krautrageous

Krautrageous New Member

OK, I just found this tutorial for similar-looking bolts & donuts.

He used waterproof silicone grease, hand pressure and little prying with a tiny flathead.
    This all that's needed?

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Ours are similar. Go to the hardware store with one of the cover bolts. In the plumbing section you will find compression fittings. Look for a ferrule that fits onto the bolt and use that as a tool to allow the new doughnuts to slide onto the bolt. A drop of oil on the inside of the new doughnut can help the process. The old ones will need to be cut off with a pair of diagonal cutters (they will have hardened a lot more than those in the video). Grab, cut, twist, and they come off.

When you reinstall the cover you will tighten the bolts until they stop. Tightening them any more than that will cause the threads to stretch, and eventualy strip. The bolt has a shoulder that rests against the head when they are tight. The doughnuts are what places pressure on the valve cover to keep it down tightly.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  16. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Salut Monsieur Baudette, toujours un plaisir de voir un autre membre du Quebec !

17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Bonjour! Nous avons des Francophones en Ontario aussi!
    (Not as good as the Quebec ones, though!;))

18. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

What k-moe is speaking of is spot on! Chacal has the exact ferrule you need to do the job. I think it is less than a buck. I just replaced all my doughnuts and the ferrule worked like a charm! Just put a bit of silicone grease on it and they slid right on. Here is a pic of an old one along side one I just replaced...
    IMG_1879.JPG

19. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Je sais que certaines parties de l'Ontario sont très francophones, et j'espère qu'elles le resteront encore longtemps.

20. Ty Snaden

Ty Snaden New Member

Hi all, just double checking that the specifics for the valve cover gasket is the same on a 1982 XJ650 Seca as it is for the maxim. Fairly certain it is but wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: YICS engine

Last edited: May 22, 2019