1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

surge at steady throttle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by O2BYUNG, Nov 4, 2007.

1. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

new to the game. just bought my seca yesterday. 92 xj600. wanted something fun but not a full blown sport bike. bike runs good, idles fine. my problem is at a steady throttle, the bike has a very slight surge and not real responsive off closed throttle. any suggestions. 24 year auto mechanic. (hope i can adjust)

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Most common reason for this is a restriction of fuel flow. If you have an inline fuel filter change it. Check the fuel line for kinks and make sure it is not coming out of the petcock and going uphill. A low float level can cause this. Dirty carbs can also cause it so a can of Seafoam to a full tank may help.

3. dandrewk

dandrewk Member

Slightly OT - Kragen now carries Seafoam. I bought a bottle yesterday, and the clerk looks at it and tells me he had worked there for years and had gotten hundreds of requests for Seafoam. He thought it was a myth, that a product that seemed to do everything really existed. He was happy to see them finally stocking it.

I bet if we check other motorcycle maintenance threads and did a search on "Seafoam", there would be LOTS of hits.

4. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

Thanks for the insight. This weekend i'm gonna pop the tank and see what i got. The previous owner put about 1k miles on in the last three years. Probably not a good thing. I'll let you know how i make out.

5. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

seafoam on it's way. along with air filter, oil filter and front and rear pads. yeeha!!!

6. Jackncoke

Jackncoke Member

Might want to have a look inside of the tank for rust, I know that will screw up your carbs, affected mine. In the words of so many XJ'ers, if you dont have a fuel filter, get one! Welcome to the forums!

7. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

O2BYUNG, welcome to the site.

Lots of knowledge to be had (shared) here.
    Lot of good folks too!

8. emil10

emil10 New Member

What do your plugs look like?

9. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I believe you mean YEEHAW

More than likely a carb issue here.
    I have a few bucks on a rich condition or just filty carbs.

10. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I'd run a stiff tank of Seafoam before tackling pulling carbs.

11. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. I pulled the tank today and checked the air filter. Looks good. I did notice that the boots from the air box to #1 and 2 carbs were not seated on the carbs. I secured the air box to all the carbs. The tank looks clean. At this point, i'm waiting for the seafoam and the temp. in new york to go above 40 degrees so i can put some miles on the bike. (thin blooded) Fuel filter is on the horizon. More to come. Any advice on quicker warm up times? I read somewhere about different jets for the carbs. Anyone familiar with this? Thanks.

12. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

Forgot to mention, the plugs look good. Installed about 500 miles ago.

13. Flashgp

Flashgp Member

As long as you have your tank off, check your fuel flow all the way to the T at the carbs. I noticed that my 650 was surging and found that the fuel lines were swollen internally cutting off the flow. Fuel lines do go bad over time.

14. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

I'm back. Updates- Found out these bikes are very lean out of factory. Found a fix called the 10 cent re-jet. It's basically shimming the jet needles so they sit higher in the jet allowing for a richer mixture. Along with that, you raise your float levels and adjust your air screws out about 2.5 turns.
    Performed surgery last night and went for a 35 mile chilly ride today. It worked excellent. I did put some seafoam in my tank also. (can't hurt). Thanks for all the support. If anybody is interested in the procedure, i found it on yahoo!

15. Stormin

Stormin Member

Where abouts in NY are you?

16. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

I'm in putnam county.

17. Stormin

Stormin Member

Hi Neighbor,
    I'm just north of you in Dutchess county

18. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

Hi neighbor, Went for a fifty mile ride today. Not bad, except for the hands. It's tough when you buy a bike late in the season. you wanna ride, but you pay the price. We'll have to try to make contact when spring arrives.

19. Stormin

Stormin Member

The Bike I have is in pieces, and I need to get my license.
    I owned a bike back in 84 and drove around a bunch that summer.
    I picked up this one last year because the price was right, but it was left outside for a while, so it needs a lot of work. Not sure when I'll have it up and running.

20. O2BYUNG

O2BYUNG New Member

i had my first road bike in 83. It was a midnight maxim 750. We may be near the same age from the sounds of it. I got my liscence 2 years ago when i decided to get back into it. (midlife crisis?). I've owned four bikes since then and just got this seca. 1) suzuki 350 enduro (got my liscence on that) 2) 04 suzuki 650 boulevard (starter bike) 3) 03 sportster (too much vibration) 4) 07 suzuki 800 boulevard (nice bike for cruising) Then i bought the seca. No loan and a fun bike to ride. There's nothing like a 4 cylinder japanese motor.