1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

TCI boxes XJ650/XJ750 (or others)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fintip, May 2, 2012.

1. fintip

fintip Member

It might be worthwhile for people in general to all post information about their TCI boxes--what year/model you have, and a picture (or at least some numbers from the stickers there, if you are too lazy to grab a camera or don't have one) of the TCI with your bike.

Specifically, though, I'm trying to make sure I have the correct TCI box for my XJ650J. If someone with an '82 650 Maxim could snap a picture or read me some numbers, I'd be grateful. Mine appears to have been snatched off a 750 in a junkyard.

Thanks.

2. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

The 650 and 750 TCI's are the same, 5G2-82305-10-00, for both bikes.

3. fintip

fintip Member

I know this is an old thread, but can someone confirm this?

I have two TCI's that I want to sell, just want to confirm what they are compatible with. My understanding was that the 650's and 750's differed slightly, but where interchangeable--you just might suffer a slight (though perhaps imperceptible to most/all?) drop in mpg/power at some point on your powerbands.

Am I wrong, and they truly used the same TCI?

Because I have two TCI's--one I pulled off of a junked 650 maxim, and one I bought from a mechanic as a spare that says "XJ750" in marker on one side. Both of them look identical, and both ran my 650 fine.

The sticker on the front of both says

TYPE TID14-06
    5G2-10

And then, with an imprinted stamp, after the 5G2-10 part, one has "103" stamped and one has "206" stamped (coincidence that one is double the other, or not?)

Any info from others with knowledge or willing to glance at their TCI's would be much appreciated.

Also, someone here had in their sig for a while that they were looking for tank badges and a fork badge for a 650 maxim, no? I have a complete set, but they were spray-painted black before I got my hands on them. If interested, PM me.

Also, if anyone needs a TCI for a 650 or 750 (or just wants a spare for a long trip, which was my thinking), PM me.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The 5G2-10 TCI's are correct for all XJ750 1981-83 models and the 1982-up XJ650 (except Turbo) models (i.e. models with YICS engines).

The stamped codes 103 and 206 is a coincedence; that's actually a date code.

5. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

6. hoopsuk

hoopsuk Member

I bought a unit to replace my TID14-02 4H7-10. It gave a really weak spark. The unit is neat and very professionally put together. They told me they weren't sure if it would work as its meant for the 750. I bought it more out of curiosity.

7. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

8. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

I have no personal experience with the ERD co' in NZ but i have heard good reports on them .. 1/2 the price of carmoelec' as well.

eg. "there is a very big difference from stock, hotter spark and improved ignition curve, with the hyperpack, i originally bought one out of desperation and wound up using them on everything i build, they are that good, other than exhaust and intake mods this is one of the best bang for your buck mods there is, plus the guy wayne who makes them is a top notch dude, i highly recommend them if you want more from your engine, hope this helps" that's from a member here.

Maybe hoopsuk's comments were really other electrical issues related

9. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

That's fascinating... I wonder if we could work out some kind of distrobution deal with them through Len?!?!?!?!?!?!

10. webofdeception

webofdeception Member

mine is 5g2-10 and looks like a 109 - TID14-06

11. fintip

fintip Member

Thanks for the answers, good info.

Chacal, what is the difference between the 81/82 650 tci? What happens if you switch them?

Also, there's a tci listed on eBay right now that says it is for the 650/700/750. Would it work on a 700¿

Wish I'd checked on my '81 when I had it.