1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

TURBOCHARGED MAXIM 650 BUILD

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by farmer, Sep 23, 2009.

1. farmer

farmer Member

Here is the start of my build thread. Taking a turbo seca 650 motor and transplanting it into grandpa's 1981 maxim 650.
    Dont have any pictures yet but will update as the build progresses

Turbo Mods include:

-T25 turbo from a saab relocated to front of bike
    -Custom made stainless Front mount turbo header
    -An actual blow off valve the relives after each shift, not a bov that only vents after 15psi to save the engine.
    -Autometer boost guage
    -Wideband air/fuel ratio guage
    -Seca turbo fuel pump and wiring, turbo petcock with return line
    -Seca turbo boost and knock sensor
    -Seca turbo anti-lag airbox plenum with disabled blow-off valve
    -Seca turbo ignition box and coils
    -Seca turbo oil cooler
    -Custom supply and return lines for t25 turbo
    -Seca turbo 650 engine with ported exhaust ports
    -6psi base boost

Turbo stage 2:
    -water injection
    -front mount intercooler
    -boost controller, higher boost

Turbo stage 3:
    -900 big bore?
    -700n exhaust cam?

Powertrain/frame:
    -Seca turbo front rim with dual disc upgrade
    -Seca turbo rear rim with higher tire for higher better gearing
    -Larger seca turbo rear brake drum
    -stock maxim crash bars with highway pegs
    maxim 750 tank with custom airbrushed painting of grandpa (he was a pipeline welder, some picture of him welding in his helmet.)

Electrical:
    -Led Brake light and license plate light (save some amps)

Will update when pics are available! Should be in a few days. Hope to have this done over winter. Still riding the bike, will start the teardown in less than a month.

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

COOL !! some Real modifications to look at.
    Get a pic of the full mock-up, even if you have to tape things in place.

3. maxhog650

maxhog650 Member

sounds crazy if it works, cant wait for pics to start coming in. good luck

4. farmer

farmer Member

Heres some pics

Enjoy.

Next is to order the 1 inch stainless piping and mandrels and flanges for the exhaust header, wire in the new CDI box and coils to confirm my wiring is correct and that the cdi box runs the old motor, swap the motor, then start the turbo header fabrication!

Any comments appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      36.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
  5. 7kidsathome

7kidsathome New Member

I saw where a guy did this same setup on the turbo motorcycles forum, except he used a long tube header. Where are you going to get the header pipes and flange from?

6. Raven

Raven Member

Man, that's awesome! I gotta ask a couple questions :)

What are you using for fuel management? The seca turbo electronics, or are you going to add something like a rising rate FPR?

If you go so far as to add a FMIC, you could probably find a stock side-mount from a 300ZX and get it to work.

I find this stuff really interesting, I'm excited to see what you come up with!

7. farmer

farmer Member

7kidsathome -- he did this to a maxim? Do you have the link, did he have any pics? Getting the stainless pipe from mandrelbends.com
    turbo flange will be made up, header pipe flange i am going to cut the stock flanges and weld them onto the new stainless header.

Raven -- Using the seca turbo electronics, carbs, fuel pump, etc. I will add the FMIC once i get it working with low boost.

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Have you hooked up with OrganizedInsanity yet??
    He's doing this build
    Do you have a Turbo motor??
    I have one. a "regular" motor might grenade after 100 HP
    The "turbo" motors have specially hardened gears and extra case webbing.

You seem to want to exceed 15 PSI right ?

9. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Oh how I would love to see Wiz incorporate one of these into his 900 build.

10. 7kidsathome

7kidsathome New Member

11. farmer

farmer Member

TIMEtoRIDE -- yes i have a complete turbo seca motor + setup. the pic of the motor above is a turbo motor

Id like to see Wiz's build thread.

7kids -- Ya i did see that. i posted to that thread. wanted to see pics. The front mount will allow so much more heat into the turbo than at the rear of the bike. The front mount will be tight especially when the front fork compresses. IM hoping i can get the turbo low enough to keep it out the the wheels way on compression, yet high enough not to hurt ground clearance.

We shall see what happens.

Just got my 750 tank today and my parts for my twin disc front brake setup!

12. 7kidsathome

7kidsathome New Member

I was just thinking, so what if you have a regular motor. If you have enough fuel and keep boost sane with an intercooler, water injection and the other key parts (BOV/BPV) you could turbo a regular SECA/Maxim motor. I know the pistons are an issue, but remember they were built for abuse to begin with. If you keep it wet and cool it should be possible.
    Most of the high hp turbo motors (auto/bike) run 9:1+ compression anyway. How many turbo bikes have the "standard" 8:1? Most Kawi and Zuki's have 9:1+ compression and stock pistons. Just a thought, especially with your stages of build. Boost is low to start. Injection and Intercooler later, then the big guns come out with the 900 build. I saw the 700N cam is done by several people on the 650 Turbo and has produced favorable results. Let us know what happens.

13. farmer

farmer Member

A small update but still an update none the less.

Turbo seca motor is installed in the maxim frame. I also managed to get the seca turbo ignition box wired up and it is producing spark! So I am happy for that as I felt that was my biggest obstacle. Getting the wiring correct. It was easy. All that was needed was to change the one connector on the maxim ignition box and replace it with the larger connector of the seca.

I still have to wire in the knock and boost sensors but, my main concern was getting that box sparking.

I am also going with a VNT15 turbo, commonly found on 98+ jetta tdi. I have been informed my gt25 turbo is much too big and will not spool until 10,500 rpm. I am told the GT12 garret turbo is a suitable size, but I am going with a VNT15 which is slightly larger but I am hoping the Variable Nozzle assembly will help spool times.

I am now going to order the mandrel bends from mandrelbends.com. I am going with 1 inch diameter primaries which is slighly larger than the inner pipe diameter of the stock seca turbo headers.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Attached Files:

14. schooter

schooter Active Member

cool story bro

15. farmer

farmer Member

small update, no pics....yet.

-Was able to fit the fuel pump under the frame right above the airbox. Making custom brackets to utilize the stock rubber vibe mount for the pump.

-Getting a new piece lasercut out of aluminum for the airbox reed valve assembly. The outer piece where the filter attaches hits the battery box so I am making a new piece which will move it over to the other side. Also welded up the stock airbox relief valve and fitting a true BOV.

-Mocked up the turbo fuel petcock. One of two holes fit the stock tank. (which is actually a maxim 750 tank.) it has a fuel level sensor so i will also hook that up somewhere. So now i have to somehow tig the tank to move the other bolthole over about a 1/4 inch. that should be fun. But it has enough clearance when mounted to the bike frame along with the fuel pump. This will proably be the hardest part of the swap.

-Ordered an intercooler. Might as well intercool right from the start.

-Piping should be here anyday then header construction can start.

-Getting a new flange CADed up for the oil return as it needs to point to the front of the bike, not the back,

-Got the turbo flanges being CADed also.

-Installed the seca throttle cable which is needed for these carbs. The choke cable needs to be longer and the seca one is still to short, at least with the stock maxim bullhorn handlebars. Im changing these to straighter ones one day.

Thats about it so far. More pics to follow shortly.

16. schooter

schooter Active Member

cool man sounds like you really know what you're doing, cant wait

17. farmer

farmer Member

ok some updates.

-intercooler mocked up for now, started to make the header, just waiting on the compressor center section of the turbo to determine the turbo location and make the header.

-removed the oil pan to flush it. got the oil flange cadded also for the oil return.

Attached Files:

18. 81seca550

81seca550 Member

Thats gonna be a monster of and XJ sir. Seems like your making great progress. I would love to see a video of this monstar running when she is finnished.

Good luck and may you not run into any complications and may you have her on the road by spring

19. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

Phenomenal work! Keep it coming! What do you have planned for cosmetics for this project?

20. Grieverlust

Grieverlust New Member

I bet this bike will sound friggin awesome when its done! Keeping an eye on it. Good luck!